hot hoses... no heat...blend door?

Old 01-19-02, 08:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Question hot hoses... no heat...blend door?

Car: 1995 Toyota Tercel. Problem: Very low heat
Symptoms: Upper and lower radiator hoses feel hot. Heater hoses (the ones that appear to go into the passenger area?) are very hot. I haven't changed the thermostat because I think, after reading other posts, that the problem lies outside of the cooling system. If I leave the car running without turning on the heater, the engine temperature, according to the meter inside the vehicle, rises half way. Once I turn on the heater, the temperature plummets and the hot air becomes only warm. My vehicle has the manual temperature control levers, so I think it's cable controlled.
Questions: Is this the blend door? I have no idea what a blend door is and wouldn't be identify one if it were thrown at me. Is the cost of spending $82 for the Toyota repair manual worth it, since neither Chilton nor Haynes have created a manual for my model year.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-02, 11:08 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
If the engine temp plummets when the heater is turned on, the thermostat is probably stuck open.

Alldata sells an on-line service manual for your car. The cost is about $25/year. It may be worth it for you.

Old 01-21-02, 05:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up simple as stat

It was indeed the thermostat. I really appreciate the prompt, correct advice. I had it done the next day. You guys rock.

Alan Alvarez