88 plymouth voyager dies

Old 01-19-02, 08:50 AM
shadytree
Visiting Guest
88 plymouth voyager dies

I have an 88 plymouth voyager 2.5 liter auto. 60,000 miles, been taken care of. I went out this morning and tried to start it and it starts easy but at start up it would rev up which is normal, but would die within 5 seconds. I would restart it and it again would rev and then die within several seconds I attempted 6-7 times but it would run briefly and then stall. I have had no prior symptoms of any problems. I drove it the night before and it ran fine. It was 25 degrees when i started it this morning and thought maybe the gas line was partially froze. I put a can of heet in it today so maybe that might help. If it doesn't any suggestions? Fuel pump?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-02, 01:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could be a number of things.

You'd have to read the fuel pressure with a gauge to ascertain if you have a fuel problem or not.

It could have a bad MAP sensor which will cause it quit. Could have an intermittent connection at the injector, etc.

When is the last time it saw any kind of service?

Old 01-19-02, 05:38 PM
shadytree
Visiting Guest
i really don't have it serviced, I do 99% of the work myself. I did check the trouble codes and the only code flashing is 15 which I believe is the vss switch. I replaced tha IAC motor 4 months ago. I tune it up and do regular maintenence. I do not have a pressure gauge to test the fuel pressure but I may be able to get one lined up. I also do not have the ability to test the computer sensors but wouldn't it have stored a code if the map sensor was malfunctioning? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-21-02, 06:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Make sure it is not code 14 (if you are counting check engine light flashes) which IS a MAP sensor code and will cause this problem.

Make sure there is no moisture in the hose going to the MAP sensor because Chrysler did have this problem and has a revised sensor and bleed package for it.

Might want to rent a scanner from Autozone and see what the codes actually are through a readout, not by guessing by counting light flashes .

Again, when was the last time it was serviced, either by you or someone else? What was done?

Old 01-21-02, 08:32 AM
shadytree
Visiting Guest
I changed oil 2 months ago and also within the last year changed water pump/thermostat/ spark plugs/wires/distributor cap/rotor. I also replaced all belts including timing belt. I checked timing and reset it. I change antifrese/flush every other year. Like I mentioned earlier i replaced the iac motor and while I had that off I cleaned up the throttle body and injector. I run injector cleaner in it every oil change. I did check the flash codes and all it flashes is 15. I have not replaced any of the sensors. I had the better half start it for me while I worked the throttle from under the hood. When it started and revved and started coming back down i kept pouring gas in the throttle body and it kept running.I had to keep revving it and giving it gas but after a minute or two it idled on its own. This morning I went out and started it and it repeated stalling but I was able to keep it running by revving it. After several minutes I drove it around town and it stalled once at idle but restarted easily. When it dies it doesn't sputter it just shuts down. Maybe it's the gas. i did put heet in it. I have 1/2 tank and hate to fill it if it's the fuel pump. I am going to get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure. I have no experience with these pumps and do not no if they just quit or can be off and on. I will check the map sensor/line.

Old 01-21-02, 09:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you can stoke it with fuel and keep it running, you have a fuel problem.

Either the pump is not staying on, or there is a bad relay or lack of power to it at times.

Old 01-21-02, 11:24 AM
shadytree
Visiting Guest
Is the relay in the fuel pump or where is it at? What is strange is after I stoke it it idles and runs fine. You would think if the fuel pump was bad I could not get it to start. If the pressure is low would it siphon gas from the tank while its running?