Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

99 Ford F150

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-19-02, 11:37 AM   #1  
99 Ford F150

I have a problem with my truck's transmission. When I come to a stop it will not downshift to low gear. As I release the brake, I hear a clunk as it drops to low. As long as I hold pressure on the brake pedal it won't down shift. How do I fix it?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-19-02, 11:59 AM   #2  
knuckles
I'm assuming you're dealing with an automatic transmission. If that's the case, the only thing you can do yourself is change the fluid & filter.

The trans. is electronically controlled, so it uses a bunch of sensors & solenoids & requires an OBD-II scan tool and other specialized equipment to perform diagnostics.

Try changing the fluid & filter if it hasn't been done recently. Make sure you use the correct fluid as specified in your owners manual.

If the fluid & filter change doesn't cure it, take it to a Ford dealer or a good independent transmission shop for diagnosis/repair.

Visiting Guest

01-19-02, 01:41 PM   #3  
Joe_F
You also don't mention the mileage on your Blue Oval wonder....

You might be able to get Ford to eat part of a repair if you need a new transmission or some of the sensors as it is a 1999 vehicle and may be covered by a warranty

Search this Thread