Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

cadillac seville heater problems

Visiting Guest

01-19-02, 01:04 PM   #1  
wjcwwt

I have a 1989 cadillac sevile and I am having trouble with the heater in it. When you turn the blower motor on you can hear it working it just is not blowing out through the vents it you can feel a little heat if you hold your hand up to the vent but it just is not coming in the vents If you have any suggestions for me I would really appreciate it as to how to fix this problem I have tried to change the thermostate and that did not work. Thank you for any help you may be able to give

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-19-02, 01:33 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Feel your heater hoses when the car warms up. If they are both hot, then the problem is the vent door inside the car.

If they are not warm, you have a problem with the cooling system side.

Tell us what you've got.

Visiting Guest

01-19-02, 02:36 PM   #3  
wjcwwt

in reply to your suggestions for the heater problems on the 1989 cadillac seville 4.5 liter engine I have checked the hoses and that runs to the heater coil the top one is hot, the bottom one is not. You can touch the radiator on the side and it does not feel like it is getting hot I am not sure if that would have anything to do with it but I thought I would let you know. With this information what would you suggest I try

Last edited by wjcwwt; 01-19-02 at 03:00 PM.

Visiting Guest

01-19-02, 05:13 PM   #4  
mooser1
probably the heater core is plugged and should be replaced....hot water trying to get in thru top hose but not circulating thru the core, hence the cool bottom hose......when operating properly both hoses should feel hot to the touch......

Visiting Guest

01-19-02, 06:03 PM   #5  
wjcwwt

in regards to your suggestion on the heater problem with the 1989 cadillac seville you sugested that the heater core may be plugged is their any way to test it to see if that is the problem? and if not how hard is it to change a heater core that is something I have never done befor? and how long does it usually take? This site is a life saver thank you

Last edited by wjcwwt; 07-28-02 at 11:30 AM.

Visiting Guest

01-21-02, 06:20 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Take the heater hoses off at the engine side.

Cut a garden hose and clamp it to the upper hose.

Use short bursts of water from the valve to try to flush out the gunk and rust in there. Might help might not. Try it both ways on both fittings. It did help on my friend's 1991 Shadow.

Suggest you pick up a repair manual from your parts store or library or an electronic service manual subscription from www.alldata.com if you are going to service the core yourself.

Search this Thread