98 subaru outback-dash lights problem

Old 01-20-02, 08:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Question 98 subaru outback-dash lights problem

My 98 Subaru Outback Legacy simultaneously lost it's "non-dimmer" controlled lights in both the heater/ac pushbuttons and the stereo l.e.d. display. All the switches and the radio l.e.d. display work but have just lost the lighting. (From what I remember- there are no other non-dimmer controlled lights in the dash.) No other problems.

I took it to the dealer where i bought it and the service tech seemed unsure about the cause and suggested that the radio needs to be removed and sent to the factory and some control module on the heater/a.c. should be replaced and then he could not promise it would fix the problem. He estimated the cost could run about $600. Ouch!

It's gotta be something else. I've checked all fuses- they are o.k. Could not find any under-hood relay related to dash lights or stereo. Suggestions ???

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-02, 09:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ouch.

This Outback is taking you to the Outhouse .

Seek out another dealer. This one is not too credible. It could be just burned out bulbs, or a bad headlight switch, among other things.

Have another Subaru dealer have a look at it. Another reason I don't like Subaru, it's hard to find good service on them, even at the dealer level .