Emission Control Computer?

Old 01-21-02, 07:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Emission Control Computer?

My 86 Accord has failed emission test recently. The mechanic says it needs a new 'Emission Control Computer'. I want to know how serious is this problem and if replacing the computer would lead to anything else. Can anyone tell me what would be the cost of this computer and if I can find a used one?

The car has 164K miles on it and is making some knocking sound when cold. I am debating over whether to keep this car. But at the same time since I don't use it more than 4 times a week for about 5 miles each time I would be happy to spend a reasonable amount if it can carry me around for another year or two.

Has anyone been through this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-21-02, 12:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
I'm not much of a Honda man,except for towing them in when the owners ignore advice to keep the timing belt replaced regularly, but here's some generalization:

Give your local Honda dealer a call and ask them the price for the computer in question. Then you will need to balance that against what the car is worth, which right off the top of my head i would say not very much with 164k miles and an engine that knocks.

Not likely you'll find a used one because a couple of hundred other Honda owners are probably looking around for a used one to save a few hundred dollars, too.

Biggest problem with spending a fair amount of money on that age a vehicle is that you may get it running again only to have something else fail [like a broken timing belt that can turn into a $1000-1200 repair if it's a "valve-bender" engine].

Might also want to get a second opinion on the problem from someone with no stake in the matter, i.e. find a garage that will run a check on the system with the understanding that it is for a second opinion only. You didn't say what part of the country you are in or whether the testing is done by the same people who want you to replace an expensive part or not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: