someone wrecked my truck!

Old 01-21-02, 11:05 AM
Angry someone wrecked my truck!

I have a purty 1990 C-1500 longbed that I was driving in the snow, on the way home from work. It was really slick, no big issue for me, I can handle that (although a longbed with no weight in the back can mean "Ice Capades" if the roads are really bad).

This girl went careening across the road and tagged me near the rear driver's side wheel. It buckled the bottom of the sheetmetal on the fleetside up and under the truck, and slashed a huge 6" gap on the tire. Also, this is very, frighteningly close to the gas inlet. Of course, the tank, all 35 gallons of it, was full. Fortunatley, no leak and no fireworks.

She was only doing about 25 mph (though she was travelling nearly sideways). I was doing the same, forward.

So far damage seems cosmetic.
Now, since I'm not a mechanic, what do you guys (especially you there JoeCool) recommend I have the Chevy dealership check out? I'm concerned that the impact may have caused indetectible damage to the axle, bearings, rear end, and possibly the gas tank. Are there any parts there that tend to have "hidden damage" or be fragile? More specs below.

1990 C-1500
4.3 (z) V6,
5sp manual
Longbed
2wd, limited slip
rear end gearing, unknown (probably factory).
driver- pissed off.

Mako

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-02, 11:11 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have it sent off to a good body shop, but it's unlikely there is anything more than cosmetic damage to the truck by your description.

The body shop can put the truck on an alignment rack to check for any damage beyond cosmetic.

Not likely to have caused any mechanical damage.

Old 01-21-02, 11:46 AM
Thanks!

I have it at the chevy dealership, guys I've known for a while.
I'm sure they'll dig up any damage that was done. I appreciate your help.
Mako

Old 01-21-02, 11:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you trust them, cool beans, but make sure they don't farm out the work, or if they do, they back it up and don't leave you out to pasture if there is a problem.

1990 is an "old" truck. Many dealerships shy away from anything that "old" (it's new to me..lol).

If you trust them, go with it.