Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'86 Ford F-150 front brakes

Visiting Guest

01-21-02, 02:01 PM   #1  
TonyHi

Hi Joe; I have done lots of brakes but never had a calipher retaining system like this. "Clips?" with a spring loaded pin inside. I am not a "Bigger Hammer" person. How are the caliphers removed for pad replacement? And reinstalled. Regards, Tony...

Sponsored Links

01-21-02, 03:09 PM   #2  
I didn't know if you had time for Joe to respond so i thought i'd
help a little.You should have an upper and lower pin that retains the caliper.Use a hammer and either a punch or flat/standard screwdriver and drive the pins out.They make a tool for the pins but it's basically nothing more then a driving tool.

Visiting Guest

01-21-02, 04:44 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Fordtech is the man

He beat me to it .

Visiting Guest

01-22-02, 07:05 AM   #4  
TonyHi

Hi guys; When I pushed against the retaining pin rubber centers it created the illusion of a spring loaded release. When I discovered what I was dealing with, the job was easy.

Visiting Guest

01-22-02, 01:07 PM   #5  
Joe_F
There you have it..

GM calipers have 5/16" allen keys and have for a number of years. Pretty straightforward design. That's why I buy and own their product.

Might want to pick up a basic repair manual for the next time to give you a visual illustration and procedure for future repairs.

Search this Thread