grinding noise when turning

Old 01-22-02, 08:27 AM
wetclay
Visiting Guest
Question grinding noise when turning

I have a 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan. Lately I have noticed black stuff on the front wheels. It has now started making a rubbing or creaking noise when I turn sharply. The front brakes are less than a year old and have been on about 12,000 miles. This noise comes and goes. It is not the power steering pump. It seems to be under the car around the wheels. Any ideas? I Plan to take it to a shop, but I am unsure as to whether I should go to the dealer or a tire ,shock,brake place.

The van also seems to bounce to a stop. The steering wheel shakes when I stop.

Old 01-22-02, 08:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A couple of things, not that I'm a mechanic, but I've seen this happen on some of my family's vehicles

1) Bouncy stops- warped drum or disc. If your van has drum brakes in the rear, they may be warped, as this happens now and then. Since you say the steering does it too, leads me to suspect the front brakes. Since you had them done a year ago, you may have jammed the breaks hard a time or two enough to warp the disc. My old F150 ate discs up like pancakes.

2) Black stuff on front- I don't think this is a problem. Front brakes are disc, and they have a habit of rubbing the brake pads down (normal). The leftover dust collects on the wheel. I have to clean this off of my rim often. My front brakes are a year and a half old.

3) Noise when turning- sounds like you may have a problem with your front-wheel-drive gadgets (provided that yours is fwd, as I'm sure it is). I don't know all this entails, but you may want to have a ***trusted*** local shop take a look at it soon. You don't want to do more damage than necessary.

4) Your van is a chrysler product- sorry, can't do anything about that. You may be able to find a Chevy emblem to replace that other one, but it won't make any difference in the performance of your van. It'll just look more civilized
Mako

Old 01-22-02, 01:02 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If the sound is a clicking noise when turning, you likely have bad CV axles and joints. They should be replaced with rebuilt axles.

As for the black dust on the wheels, it is probably poor quality replacement pads. Most should not create that kind of dust, but it does happen with some pads. Swap up to better pads such as Wagner or Raybestos PG line.

Any competent repair shop should be able to handle these repairs.

Old 01-22-02, 01:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have Raybestos BruteForce pads on the front discs on my C1500- are these supposed to be good? Pep Boys (I have a friend who works there) gave me a lifetime warranty on the pads (not labor). I do get some (not a ton, but enough to show) of the black dust. Does this matter?
Mako

Old 01-22-02, 03:07 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I use the PG (professional grade) on my vehicles. They are good.

Raybestos dumped their lifetime warranty I believe .

The Brute Force (I believe you mean Brute Stop though!) are for fleet and severe duty use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: