Howling rear differential?

Old 01-22-02, 05:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Howling rear differential?

RE: I have a 1990 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton truck and I noticed a howling sound that seemed to come from the rear end last night. Truck was cold (-20 Celcius)and very noticeable. Sound gradually reduced at highway speeds. This morning I checked the oil level and no oil leaked out when the plug was removed, I added about 1/3 of a litre of proper oil and went for a ride. Noise wasn't as loud but the heated garage may have been the reason for this. I took the truck to highway speeds for a couple of miles and returned home. There seems to be a slight noise yet. I not sure what type of differential it is (not posi) but it has a 360 automatic , if that helps. Is the rear end shot? I thought the noise should increase as speed increased.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-02, 10:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mileage?

If it was run low on fluid, it may have contributed to wiping out the bearings in the rear.

What fluid are you using? Might be time for a change.

Take your wheels off. See any grease or oil leaking from the seals behind the brakes?

Old 02-05-02, 09:23 PM
Visiting Guest
center support bearing

I spoke to a mechanic regarding the sound that I originally believed came from the rear differential. He asked if I had a 2 piece driveshaft. When I said yes, he said that the center support bearing was the likely problem. I took a peek under the '90 Dodge 3/4 ton tonight and the rubber seal seems to be faulty. I bought a new bearing and now I'm wondering if I need a puller or if the u-joints need to be removed to replace the bearing. I also noticed a rubber boot adjacent to the bearing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-06-02, 05:33 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Get a hold of a repair manual or Alldata.com description to guide you through the repair.

Again, mileage? Might be worth it to change the U-joints while you have it all apart. I would.

Old 02-06-02, 01:55 PM
redneck
Visiting Guest
I'm thinkin like Joe when those carrier bearings on the drive shaft go it is usually time to replace the u-joints also--not hard or expensive!!

Search this Thread