Brake Rotors

Old 01-23-02, 10:32 AM
Brake Rotors

I have a very general question. In a couple of thousands miles I'll have to replace the brakes on my 94 Camry. That will include replacing the rotors since they are a bit warped now (you can't feel it when they are cold, but it gets noticeable after they warm up). Now, that's the easy part. It seems I have a choice on the type of rotors. Should I get the Toyota original equipment, the slotted or the cross drilled type? I really like the cross drilled type, it seems that the cooling is much better, and they shouldn't warp as quickly. I have no problem with changing the pads every year, but the rotors is another problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-02, 10:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Nah, good OE or aftermarket (US made or Canadian made) are fine for this.

No benefit from cross drilled rotors on a stock car. Waste of money in my belief.

Old 01-23-02, 10:59 AM
The reason I'm leaning toward Toyota parts is because on my parents Honda I had to replace the "aftermarket" rotors almost every year. I switched to Honda rotors almost 2 years ago and had no problems. The "cheap" ones warp very easily. I had one set of rotors that was warped from the box. On the other hand, I went to a shop a few weeks ago to replace a broken stud on the car. I told them the ABS system doesn't work, and wanted to see if the electronic module works ( the light does not turn on on the dashboard). They refused to do that, saying I first need a $1000 brake job before they can check the ABS. I know that perhaps dirty fluid will make the ABS not work very well, but shut down completely? I find it hard to believe. Also, what would they do for $1000? Replace every little component in the braking system?

Old 01-23-02, 03:54 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I have used good quality aftermarket parts with no problems.

There are different grades of aftermarket parts. The imported parts are terrible. The US and Canadian made ones are fine. OE rotors are fine too.

Choose another shop for your ABS repair. That shop is trying to hang you in my opinion.