Tranny Crash Course

Old 01-25-02, 06:35 AM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
Tranny Crash Course

Hello, As a relative novice in the automotive environment, could somebody give me a basic brief description of the parts within the drive train/trans etc... that house fluid of some sort? I frequently hear things like, "Mr. Horvath, your trans fluid looks ok but your transfer case and diff fluid needs to be replaced." I am familiar with both a front and rear differential and that they are self contained with their own fluids, but what is the transfer case? Are there any other parts I should be aware of? I checked teh owners manual and it does not go into this much detail. FYI I have a 99 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4 5.2 V8, 52,500 mi. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 01-25-02, 07:46 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
the transfer case is an "auxillary" transmission used to transfer the power to your front differential when using the 4 wheel drive option.....it does contain fluids and needs periodic servicing......

Old 01-25-02, 08:28 AM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the feedback. Does the transfer case utilize its own contained fluid or is it looped in with the general trans fluid? Thanks again.

Old 01-25-02, 08:40 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
it is independent of the trans fluid, uses gear oil like the differentials......

Old 01-25-02, 08:53 AM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
Thank you again for the input. This definitely helps. One final bit of ammo I could use is the following:

1. Trans fluid s/b changed when it looks like?
2. Diff fluid s/b changed when it looks like?
3. Transfer case fluid s/b changed when it looks like?

I have reviewed the manual regarding recommended mileage milestones reached and which to change, but thought this info would help me from getting duped.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 01-25-02, 09:01 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
trans fluid should always look reddish in color, if it's getting brown and smells burnt you've got a problem

differentials and transfer case should look & feel like clean engine oil, greenish rather than black

Old 01-25-02, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Good info mooser.

If you keep the fluids changed at the recommended intervals you should have no problems. You will probably notice that the change interval is shorter on the transmisssion and motor than on the differential and transfer. This is because, as mooser has answered, they are closed cases and do not have the same degree of wear, gunking-up, etc as trannies and motors. What this means is that it is probably not necessary to change the transfer and diff oils every time you have a tranny serviced unless you want to do it so as not to forget when you did it last.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: