Aluminum Wheel Cleaning

Old 01-24-02, 06:28 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Aluminum Wheel Cleaning

I have some aluminum wheels that have some seriously caked on grime, grease, brake dust, etc. I have tried everything under the sun (cleaner wise) to clean them w/o any luck. Any tricks that anyone has would be appreciated.

I've considered putting a wire brush on a drill. Would this be a mistake?

Thanks, John

Old 01-24-02, 07:42 AM
O
Dont use the wire brush it will ruin the rims. I would suggest to use Simple Green, its very effective in removing those stuffs. I hope this helps. Good luck. Keep me posted.

OM

Old 01-24-02, 09:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You don't state if they are clearcoated or not.

I have had great success with Mother's Gold Mag and wheel cleaner on my 1979 Trans Am "Turbo Flow" rims. They shine like mirrors now

Old 01-24-02, 04:12 PM
J
I don't know if they're clearcoat. They're stock rims on a 98 Mit. Eclipse. I tried the Simple Green since I heard good things about that product. Maybe I didn't give it time to work. I'll check out that Mother's Gold Mag. I haven't tried that one yet.
Thanks,
John

Old 01-25-02, 06:41 AM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
I had a 78 Jeep CJ7 Renegade with some pretty bad rims when I bought it. I purchased an item that I unfortunately cannot recall the name. What I do remember was that it was pink and the consistency was like mayonnaise. You would literally goop this stuff on and let it sit for 20 or 30 minutes. When I wiped those rims down I was astonished at how well it worked. Sorry I cannot remember the name but hopefully this will help. Ask for "pink goop" :-)

Old 01-25-02, 11:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Probably some sort of naval jelly.

Old 01-25-02, 01:28 PM
rs_petty
Visiting Guest
Dawn dishwashing detergent (full strength) and scotch-brite pad. Let the Dawn detergent set to help break down the grime and then scrub. Often it is impossible to remove without also removing some of the clear coat. You may want to check eastwoodco.com for their wheel buffing kits.

Old 01-25-02, 03:02 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Jeweler's rouge also works well. Home Depot for one sells it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: