Radiator Cap

Old 01-24-02, 07:58 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Radiator Cap

I have a 94 sable with a 3.8 engine in it. I have had the head gasket changed by the recall. I would like to make the new head gasket last as long as possible. I flush coolant every (2) year. I also changed to radiator cap from 16 lb to a 13lb in hopes that the low pressure would prolong the gasket life. By changing the cap the engine also started running cooler too. Does anyone have any comment. Was this a good idea?

Old 01-24-02, 08:04 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Did you have much trouble getting the head gasket changed and have them pony up for the bill? I have a 93 Cougar with the same situation.

Old 01-24-02, 09:06 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Do not use the wrong cap. It will lower the boiling point of the system. Put the right cap on there.

Use the correct cap. Service the cooling system once a year and change the belts and hoses every 4 years. If you notice any coolant loss or leaks, rectify them right away.
That will prolong the life of the car and the cooling system.

Gary:

You need to write a letter or call Ford and have a case started on your car. Then being persistent ask for a goodwill warranty consideration. That means that you expect Ford to eat part or all of the repair, even though it is out of warranty. Go to www.alldata.com and if you find a bulletin on your problem, use that as your bargaining force.

Find articles stating that the 3.8 is a known gasket blower if Alldata has nothing. You want to bolster your case, more so if you have higher mileage on the car. Ford will deny it, you have to fight them and keep on them to eat part or all of the repair.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: