Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

89 Honda Accord

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-24-02, 06:38 AM   #1  
89 Honda Accord

OK, I've got a 89 Honda Accord DX, 4 cyl, 5 speed. It has California Emissions and 180,000 miles on it. It's been running rough lately. One thing I've noticed, is that when I'm upshifting, the engine revs up when I hit the clutch. Also when I'm downshifting, when I push in the clutch, the RPM's drop quickly and it trys to stall. Could this be the throttle position sensor, or is it likely to be a vaccum leak in one of the thousands of vaccum lines on that thing? It tends to run at high idle when cold (Very high idle) and continues to do so until it warms up good, at which time I start having the problem I mentioned here. I appretiate any help. You guys have been a great help in other problems I've had.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-24-02, 09:10 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Yup, I would say look for a carburetor or vacuum line issue.

There's also an idle stop solenoid which might be the culprit.

These things all should have been fuel injected. Those carbureted Hondas are the pits when they get old (. A new replacement carb. from Honda probably exceeds the value of the car .

Search this Thread