Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

valve adjustment-big block 396

Visiting Guest

01-24-02, 12:11 PM   #1  
crick
valve adjustment-big block 396

not cranking engine for the first time just had some head work done,my question is, is there a method for adjusting the valves one time while engine is cold,most of the books say(chilton etc...)remove all lash and then one full turn.i've done this in the past and after a couple hours of running they need readjusting,thats what im trying to avoid,the car is a showcar and i didnt want to readjust with the car running(too messy) thought maybe there were some big block gurus out there that could help me,its got hydraulic cam and lifters thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-24-02, 01:40 PM   #2  
xiii13
All valves have to be adjusted again once the engine or heads are broken in. However there is a kit you can buy that let's you adjust the lifters with the valve cover off - and the engine running - without making a mess. I've been using mine for years now.

It's basically a valve cover with the top off. Works quite well and was only about $30. When your done with one bank you just switch it to the other bank. I adjust my 350 small block every three months while it is running and have yet to make a mess. I'm prretty sure they make one for big blocks too. Most speed shops carry this item. I wish I could remember who makes it, but the logo has worn off it, sorry.

Visiting Guest

01-24-02, 04:06 PM   #3  
mooser1
you can make one of these "tools" yourself for next to nothing.....get a stock used rocker cover from junkyard and cut a 1" wide slot in it with a cutting torch the length of your rocker adjusting nuts.....you can hold cover close to the rockers and see where you'll have to cut the slot......much cheaper, works perfectly, I have one for small blocks I've been using for years....simply set this slotted cover on the head and adjust away, no mess on your brand new orange paint......

Visiting Guest

01-24-02, 05:34 PM   #4  
crick
thank you guys for the help i'll have to go that route

Visiting Guest

01-25-02, 05:59 AM   #5  
xiii13
Tried a used valve cover years ago, but kept cutting myself on the holes I had made to access the rockers. So I purchased the kit. Either way, whatever works for you!

Visiting Guest

01-26-02, 06:56 PM   #6  
cork
adjust valves

i made one out of an old cover but i slit a vacuum hose
and put it around the edge of the hole so i didn't cut my
fingers.

Last edited by knuckles; 01-26-02 at 08:52 PM.

Search this Thread