Passenger door lock on "96 cherokee seized?

Old 01-24-02, 01:53 PM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
Passenger door lock on "96 cherokee seized?

The door lock on the passenger door of my '96 cherokee won't move. It is a power lock, but manually I can't move it either. I don't see any screws to take the panel off the door. Do you know how i can get that panel off so I can take a look? Also, any recommendations on how to go about fixing this other than a visual inspection? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-02, 08:56 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
WD40 and graphite the piss out of the key and work it into the lock a few times, back and forth. It should eventually free up unless someone stuck glue or gum in it .

That being said, if it doesn't help, hit your parts store for a repair manual (or try the library) and pop the panel off. Then you can see the retaining clip that holds the lock in place.

Take out the lock and bring your key with it to a locksmith. They can repair it or rekey another lock to match your original key. Then just reinstall it.

Done.

Old 01-25-02, 06:10 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
do either one or the other for the graphite or wd40 you don't want to mix the two of them together also there is a lubricant for the lock that they can put on if they have it. also is this the ignition key or the valet key your trying i beleive it should be a double sided key your using also your wafers might be frozen as well Don,

Old 01-25-02, 07:51 AM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
It is the regular key that I'm using, double sided. Thanks for the help guys. I should get to this tomorrow, I'll let you know.

Old 01-25-02, 08:03 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
also have you ever unlocked the passenger side door with the key your trying. a few years ago the chrysler dealers here where giving people two sets of keys with their cars one set worked and the other set didn't even belong on it. also was the jeep in a recent accident body shops love replacing locks with out geting them rekeyed. Don,

Old 01-25-02, 08:07 AM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
Not sure if it was in an accident. I just picked it up last week. I didn't even think to ask when I bought it. The deal I got was too good! It runs like new though. no complaints. I'll keep you guys posted...

Old 01-25-02, 10:13 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
ok bledsoe thanks try the wd40 first if it wasn't replaced etc it should work. i myself am a locksmith so i see a lot of this problem is you never know what to expect just be glad you didn't buy a yugo some of those came with 5 diffrent keys. Don,

Old 01-28-02, 07:34 AM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
The verdict is in!

The WD-40 worked! I sprayed a lot of WD-40 into the opening where the locking hardware was and worked it for a few minutes and now it works like new. Thanks for the tip. I would've taken the whole door apart!

Old 01-28-02, 08:05 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
good i'm glad it worked. also if your going to remove the door panel look at ypur arm rest etc. there should be some screws holding it in. Don,

Search this Thread