1991 Ford Ranger Water Pump

Old 01-25-02, 09:13 AM
Terah
Visiting Guest
1991 Ford Ranger Water Pump

I need help for replacing a water pump in my 1991 Ford Ranger XLT. Is there somewhere you can direct me for instructions? It looks really hard to get to, will I have to pull the engine? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-02, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
Please post which engine, Joe will be along later and will ask.

First thing, get a repair manual; it will pay for itself. Try the library first if you don't want to buy one; otherwise you should be able to find at at the better-stocked parts places. I like Haynes, Chilton's also not bad. You'll get other publisher manual suggestions here also.

Being rear wheel drive (Joe's favorite!), it should be pretty easy, maybe a 2 hour job tops.

Old 01-25-02, 10:06 AM
Terah
Visiting Guest
it's a 3liter v6 We have the Chiltons book, but can't find water pump in it.

Old 01-25-02, 10:12 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Have a friend who had an early '90s Ranger with same motor. Been years since we replaced the pump, but if my memory serves me right, we had to remove the radiator to replace the pump.

Go to the library and look it up in the repair manual, if you don't want to buy another repair book.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-02, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Check manual again, got to be in there. In my Haynes manuals the water pumps come under "Cooling, heating, and air conditioning systems". Or check index for "water pump" or "cooling system"?

Old 01-25-02, 10:28 AM
Terah
Visiting Guest
Found it. Thank you.

Old 01-25-02, 10:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

You guys are starting to imitate me.

Good job on this post, as always.

I can count on you guys among many to help out.

My personal thanks.

Old 01-25-02, 01:56 PM
Terah
Visiting Guest
Well, we managed to get the radiator off. Got the fan partially off. The clutch isn't attached by a bolt as the book says it is. It's attached by a small round thing with a slot in it. Can't get it off. Is there a certain tool that we need?

Old 01-25-02, 02:43 PM
More then likely you'll need a fan clutch wrench,you can rent them at Autozone or some other parts store.I'm not familiar with the slot that your describing unless your just looking at the front of the fan clutch itself.To my knowledge Ford only uses two types of fan clutches one with small bolts that retain it and the second recquires the fan clutch wrench.Also, the threads most of the time are left handed so you have to loosen it by turning it to the right!!.

Old 01-25-02, 03:17 PM
Terah
Visiting Guest
Thank you so much, I'm releived that we have something to try now. Thanks again!

Old 01-25-02, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
I'm older than you, Joe, so YOU would have to be imitating ME. LOL