carb help

Old 01-26-02, 03:03 PM
carb help

Here I am sitting on a beautiful beach in Melaque, Mexico and I have a problem with what I think is the carb. 85 Dodge van, 318 and I believe a carter bbd 2 barrel carb. Every 4 or 5 days the car cranks and it won´t start. When taking off the doghouse cover and looking into the carb I see very little gas getting to the carb, if I hit the accelerator 5 times it squirts gas into the carb once. The choke plate seems to be working properly and if I dump gas into the carb it will start and it will start hot all the time. I have a new fuel pump and a new gas filter. The carb has what looks like a little check valve in the inlet pipe. Thanks for the help as always.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-02, 03:57 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Those carburetors are junk, so I wouldn't put it past it needing a rebuilt at this age.

Change your fuel filter as a precaution. Also do a volume check on the fuel pump. Take the line off the carburetor and put it into a glass jar. Crank the truck. You should have a steady constant and pretty good stream.

If you don't, likely a poorly made fuel pump, even though it's new.

Old 01-26-02, 05:26 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
remove the fuel line where it enters the carb, remove the larger hex fitting it was screwed into, inside is a bronze "sediment filter"....this will probably look and feel brand new; it's not, toss it in the ocean, hook fuel line back up without it, and you're off to Baja.....at first opportunity install a good in-line filter, available at all parts stores for low bucks, in the line somewhere near where it enters the carb, no more worries, guaranteed......this has cured many a friends vehicle, as well as my own.....de nada

Old 01-26-02, 08:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds to me like the accelerator pump in the carb is shot. If it were a filter or pump problem, wouldn't that cause a poor running problem as well? The check-ball for the accellerator pump may be sticking too.

Old 01-27-02, 12:18 PM
ok, there seems like the van doesn,t have enough power but the rear end is a 293 so I really don{t know how to judge. I will change out the fuel pump as soon as I hit Texas or can get a decent replacement. Mooser, is the check valve what you{re suggesting to throw in the ocean? Just want to make sure before I lose something I won't be able to retrieve. Cheese, when I step on the gas the response is kind of nothing, even when I try to rev it doesn't help much. Thanks to all who are helping me out, it's much appreciated.

Old 01-27-02, 12:22 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
no, not the check valve.....this filter is actually inside the carb where the fuel line screws on, it's rough looking bronze, shaped like a cup, hollow on the inside......most all factory carbs have them....