Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Timing on 1987 Cadillac DeVille

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-26-02, 05:58 PM   #1  
Timing on 1987 Cadillac DeVille

I just replaced the distributor on my 87 DeVille and the book tells me to jumper the A & B connectors on the ADL connector then set the base timing. The problem is that although I see the degree plate on the engine... I can't find the timing mark on the pully. What does it look like on this car? Is it a line on the pully or is it a cut out on the edge or what?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-26-02, 07:25 PM   #2  
knuckles
The mark itself is just a small notch cut or stamped in to the inside edge of the pulley. Click here to view a drawing of the timing marks for your car courtesy of Alldata.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-26-02, 08:03 PM   #3  
Timing

Thanks for your reply and the drawing! I'll check a little closer on that edge of the surpentine pully.

Visiting Guest

01-26-02, 08:09 PM   #4  
knuckles
You're welcome! Please let us know how your project turns out.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-26-02, 08:34 PM   #5  
Timing...

I'll let you know... I might mention for anyone else what led me to this situation in case it happens to them. My 87 Cadillac DeVille began to have an idle problem that had the following symptoms: hunt at idle, miss, hesitate and stumble. Ran fine if it was off idle. I had a code of E30 which is ISC (idle speed control circuit). I could see the ISC motor moving in and out. I replaced wires, plugs, ignition module, coil, cap and rotor, oxygen sensor, and the throttle position sensor. Finally I gave up and took it to the dealer when a local mechanic suggested it may be more cost effective to take it there. Well the dealer charged $83 an hour and took two hours to find out that the shaft of the distributor was worn to the point that it was wobbling. He could see the problem on the scope but couldn't isolate it for awhile. I put in a recycled unit and all is well except that I am now trying to set the base timing. Hope this helps someone else.

Search this Thread