Help! Key stuck

Old 01-27-02, 11:28 AM
Help! Key stuck

I have a '98 olds bravada. I just pulled into the garage and went to shut it off, but it wouldn't go back to the key release position. It seemed like when you forget to put it in park. I tried to shift it in and out of park many times while wiggling the switch. No luck. Is there some sort of overide button I could use to get the key out. Otherwise I will need to disconnect the battery due to drain of "on" position.
Thanks
Darren

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-02, 04:00 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
sounds like you might have to replace the lock if your vehicle was around a 95 they had some troubles with the ignition locks goofing up on them. Don,

Old 01-27-02, 04:57 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Might have a bad lock as Don states.

I would also try to shift the thing back and forth while turning the key to see if you can free it up. When you do, leave it in park and get it to locksmith to see what happened and get it repaired.

This vehicle has an airbag so I would not fool around with changing the lock on it.

Old 01-27-02, 11:11 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
i know what joe means about the airbag there are some vehicles G.M. Makes that you don't have to remove the steering wheel but theere is a certain trick to getting them out also sometimes if the is it hit directly it might unlock it. Don,

Old 01-28-02, 03:49 AM
try moving the sreering wheel

I have had that problem when the sterring wheel is not straight.Try grabing the wheel and moving it while trying to remove the key..hope this gets it out

Old 01-28-02, 07:12 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
on some of the newer GM's you remove the ignition lock by accessing a retainer and poke it in and it should release the ignition lock. is the 1998 olds bravada automatic or manual. Don,

Old 01-28-02, 08:06 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
have you checked the shifter interlock cable and is it in park. Don,

Old 01-28-02, 08:55 AM
success

Thanks for the info everyone. I tried all the suggestions to no avail. I brought it to a local garage and tech found a broken wire in the console near the shifter. Must have been for the interlock or nuetral safety switch. I guess it was pretty hard to see, and I probably would have needed to test to find. Total cost (125.00)
Thanks again
Darren

Old 01-28-02, 09:18 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
dtro for something like that it's better to pay to have it done. also if your not sure what it was for or happened ask where you got it fixed at. also is your shifter on the column or the floor

Search this Thread