Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Joe's Gone "Bird"

Visiting Guest

01-27-02, 05:20 PM   #1  
Joe_F
Joe's Gone "Bird"

Let's see if this works.

The attached photo is a picture of a 1980 T-top Trans Am project car that I was given by someone. It has a 1977 400 in it that runs strong along with a rebuilt 400 that comes with it. Not to mention other goodies. It's in fair shape, but I plan on cleaning it up and maybe using it.

Redneck, this car is right up your alley !!!! It does run like a caged animal and sounds violent through the loud non catalyst exhaust !

Regards,

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-28-02, 08:28 AM   #2  
jmet
I see no picture friend....

Visiting Guest

01-28-02, 08:43 AM   #3  
55Redneck
Re: Joe's Gone "Bird"

Originally posted by Joe_F

Redneck, this car is right up your alley !!!! It does run like a caged animal and sounds violent through the loud non catalyst exhaust !

Regards,
You're right Joe. I like em loud so people know I'm coming.

I prefer to row threw the gears with a standard tranny though.

Try posting the pic again.

TX

01-28-02, 08:43 AM   #4  
were is the mean machine

Joe were is the pic of the mean machine

Visiting Guest

01-28-02, 08:58 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Try #2

It should be here. Let me try again .

Visiting Guest

01-28-02, 09:18 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Dang, won't post. One last time!

Visiting Guest

01-28-02, 03:06 PM   #7  
55Redneck
I'd like to see the car Joe. Can you e-mail me a pic?

[email protected]

Visiting Guest

01-29-02, 05:35 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Sent a zip file of the whole "roll" from my digital camera.

I wish it would work here for all to see! .

Enjoy!

Visiting Guest

01-30-02, 11:06 PM   #9  
knuckles
file size

Joe, the forum software limits file attachments to 1 byte. I guess that explains why your image won't post!

Visiting Guest

01-31-02, 07:45 AM   #10  
Joe_F
Knuckles,

I thought it was smaller (I only wanted to put one picture), but I sent the pictures to Redneck.

I will try to post them elsewhere and send a link for all to see.

Visiting Guest

01-31-02, 09:34 AM   #11  
redneck
joe's pics

55redneck?, I am the original redneck! Yes, joe this car is right up my alley! Would love to see it--gee no one GIVES me a car, I have to buy all my junk.

Visiting Guest

01-31-02, 09:35 AM   #12  
Joe_F
Give me your e-mail and I'll send you the photos.

Visiting Guest

01-31-02, 10:27 AM   #13  
55Redneck
Hi redneck. I wasn't sure if Joe was talking about me or not. I've been using the handle 55Redneck for a couple of years now on various BB's and in no way was I trying to steal your handle.
There's a lot of us rednecks out there. The board I moderate on has at least 6 guys with redneck in their handle.

Watch out! The rednecks are takin over!

Visiting Guest

01-31-02, 10:42 AM   #14  
Joe_F
Well, being from the NYC suburbs, it seems odd that I might be driving a Redneck car, but that's exactly what this thing is .

1980 Turbo Trans Am, now a 77 Pontiac 400 from a LeMans. I checked the codes.

77/78 front on it. T tops, ps, pb, A/C (at one time), rear disc, 3.08. Most equipment from when it was an 80 Turbo 301 is still there.

Now has headers of unknown make, Flowmasters, and a Holley Street Dominator intake. Eldelbrock/Weber carburetor. The car is LOUD, RAW and mean sounding. Lol .

With the deal is a rebuilt 400 of unknown vintage (I haven't picked it or ran the codes yet), a mint back seat (black), a mint steering column (this one is hacked from an attempted theft), two snowflakes in decent shape with new tires, a GM door hinge, some catalogs and another brand new set of headers. I also get some more performance goodies with it.

All for the price of sending the guy and his wife out to dinner at a great Italian restaurant on me . I had to insist he take that, he said, "Oh cmon man, it wasn't necessary". I insisted it was.

I want to clean it up and do my proverbial once over on the car as I do with all used cars I inherit or purchase. It can be decent with time and TLC.

I'll keep you all posted .

Visiting Guest

02-01-02, 06:06 PM   #15  
redneck
Sounds like just how I would build one--all most. The 301 turbos are a good doner chassis. Good suspension, 4 wheel disks, posi rear, already has pontiac motor mounts, and usually can be found cheap with blown motors--that is what 301's are good for(boat anchors also)! Never liked the post '78 front ends so that was a good swap. But headers fancy, intakes and carbs are not for me--I can make the stock stuff run better. And if your gonna swap pontiac for pontiac--well--the 455 can't be beat. And, you don't want a t-top car for this swap! But, two 400's with the deal--I can work with that!! What you gonna do with it? sell it or run it?
my email is [email protected]

Visiting Guest

02-01-02, 06:51 PM   #16  
HVAC Man
OMG! only 1 byte??? whats the use then?

anyways JOE_F, you know the song "pass it on" or something like that where people keep passin on favors, or "good deeds"?
well now that you have....Lemme see.... 3 Birds, how bout settin me up with a hood and shaker set-up? you know, do something nice for someone like they did for you?, I would also like to have a Posi Rear to replace the 4.24 I have.
Hopefully we can get this site to let us post some pics cause it would be VERY handy to be able to post picks in the Heating & Cooling Forum where I help people, so that they can really have some Idea of what to look for when trying to Diagnose and repair their HVAC units.
*Just giving you a Hard time about the freebies, I had a friend that was like that, last I heard he had 14 cars, I'm not his friend anymore, LOL. Not because he was so fortunate, but because I changed jobs.
Anyways E-mail Me picks of this "free-Bird" to [email protected]

Visiting Guest

02-01-02, 07:49 PM   #17  
Joe_F
Fellas,

Shaker hood scoops are specific to the engine. A 1979 and 78 400 scoop doesn't fit a 403, which doesn't fit a vin W 301.

Your parts are easily found:

1) Texas Trans Am sales, check it on www.google.com

2) As for a junkyard link, put your request on www.junkyarddog.com

4.24 is like a bus rear. Geez! Stick with 3.42 or 3.73. I have 3.23 in the 79 and 3.08 in the other 80 Turbo.

Redneck: The 78 front is good, but the 79 to 81 is cleaner and meaner . The 78 front is growing on me though . I could have it sold to one of the guys in my 10th Anniversary group who has a gold s/e car . He's been after me for a front end. If he swaps me a complete 79 nose for it, I might think about it .

Not all 301 Turbos are WS6 rear disc cars. My 80 Carousel red is a NON WS6 car! But yes, Poncho for Poncho helps out.

It was just a regular 80 Turbo. If it were an S/E car, I would have been upset to see it chopped up.

I'll try to get pics to you both soon.

Regards,

Search this Thread