Joe's Gone "Bird"

Old 01-27-02, 05:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Joe's Gone "Bird"

Let's see if this works.

The attached photo is a picture of a 1980 T-top Trans Am project car that I was given by someone. It has a 1977 400 in it that runs strong along with a rebuilt 400 that comes with it. Not to mention other goodies. It's in fair shape, but I plan on cleaning it up and maybe using it.

Redneck, this car is right up your alley !!!! It does run like a caged animal and sounds violent through the loud non catalyst exhaust !

Regards,

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-02, 08:28 AM
jmet
Visiting Guest
I see no picture friend....

Old 01-28-02, 08:43 AM
55Redneck
Visiting Guest
Re: Joe's Gone "Bird"

Originally posted by Joe_F

Redneck, this car is right up your alley !!!! It does run like a caged animal and sounds violent through the loud non catalyst exhaust !

Regards,
You're right Joe. I like em loud so people know I'm coming.

I prefer to row threw the gears with a standard tranny though.

Try posting the pic again.

Old 01-28-02, 08:43 AM
were is the mean machine

Joe were is the pic of the mean machine

Old 01-28-02, 08:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try #2

It should be here. Let me try again .

Old 01-28-02, 09:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Dang, won't post. One last time!

Old 01-28-02, 03:06 PM
55Redneck
Visiting Guest
I'd like to see the car Joe. Can you e-mail me a pic?

[email protected]

Old 01-29-02, 05:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sent a zip file of the whole "roll" from my digital camera.

I wish it would work here for all to see! .

Enjoy!

Old 01-30-02, 11:06 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
file size

Joe, the forum software limits file attachments to 1 byte. I guess that explains why your image won't post!

Old 01-31-02, 07:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Knuckles,

I thought it was smaller (I only wanted to put one picture), but I sent the pictures to Redneck.

I will try to post them elsewhere and send a link for all to see.

Old 01-31-02, 09:34 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
joe's pics

55redneck?, I am the original redneck! Yes, joe this car is right up my alley! Would love to see it--gee no one GIVES me a car, I have to buy all my junk.

Old 01-31-02, 09:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Give me your e-mail and I'll send you the photos.

Old 01-31-02, 10:27 AM
55Redneck
Visiting Guest
Hi redneck. I wasn't sure if Joe was talking about me or not. I've been using the handle 55Redneck for a couple of years now on various BB's and in no way was I trying to steal your handle.
There's a lot of us rednecks out there. The board I moderate on has at least 6 guys with redneck in their handle.

Watch out! The rednecks are takin over!

Old 01-31-02, 10:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Well, being from the NYC suburbs, it seems odd that I might be driving a Redneck car, but that's exactly what this thing is .

1980 Turbo Trans Am, now a 77 Pontiac 400 from a LeMans. I checked the codes.

77/78 front on it. T tops, ps, pb, A/C (at one time), rear disc, 3.08. Most equipment from when it was an 80 Turbo 301 is still there.

Now has headers of unknown make, Flowmasters, and a Holley Street Dominator intake. Eldelbrock/Weber carburetor. The car is LOUD, RAW and mean sounding. Lol .

With the deal is a rebuilt 400 of unknown vintage (I haven't picked it or ran the codes yet), a mint back seat (black), a mint steering column (this one is hacked from an attempted theft), two snowflakes in decent shape with new tires, a GM door hinge, some catalogs and another brand new set of headers. I also get some more performance goodies with it.

All for the price of sending the guy and his wife out to dinner at a great Italian restaurant on me . I had to insist he take that, he said, "Oh cmon man, it wasn't necessary". I insisted it was.

I want to clean it up and do my proverbial once over on the car as I do with all used cars I inherit or purchase. It can be decent with time and TLC.

I'll keep you all posted .

Old 02-01-02, 06:06 PM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Sounds like just how I would build one--all most. The 301 turbos are a good doner chassis. Good suspension, 4 wheel disks, posi rear, already has pontiac motor mounts, and usually can be found cheap with blown motors--that is what 301's are good for(boat anchors also)! Never liked the post '78 front ends so that was a good swap. But headers fancy, intakes and carbs are not for me--I can make the stock stuff run better. And if your gonna swap pontiac for pontiac--well--the 455 can't be beat. And, you don't want a t-top car for this swap! But, two 400's with the deal--I can work with that!! What you gonna do with it? sell it or run it?
my email is [email protected]

Old 02-01-02, 06:51 PM
HVAC Man
Visiting Guest
OMG! only 1 byte??? whats the use then?

anyways JOE_F, you know the song "pass it on" or something like that where people keep passin on favors, or "good deeds"?
well now that you have....Lemme see.... 3 Birds, how bout settin me up with a hood and shaker set-up? you know, do something nice for someone like they did for you?, I would also like to have a Posi Rear to replace the 4.24 I have.
Hopefully we can get this site to let us post some pics cause it would be VERY handy to be able to post picks in the Heating & Cooling Forum where I help people, so that they can really have some Idea of what to look for when trying to Diagnose and repair their HVAC units.
*Just giving you a Hard time about the freebies, I had a friend that was like that, last I heard he had 14 cars, I'm not his friend anymore, LOL. Not because he was so fortunate, but because I changed jobs.
Anyways E-mail Me picks of this "free-Bird" to [email protected]

Old 02-01-02, 07:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Fellas,

Shaker hood scoops are specific to the engine. A 1979 and 78 400 scoop doesn't fit a 403, which doesn't fit a vin W 301.

Your parts are easily found:

1) Texas Trans Am sales, check it on www.google.com

2) As for a junkyard link, put your request on www.junkyarddog.com

4.24 is like a bus rear. Geez! Stick with 3.42 or 3.73. I have 3.23 in the 79 and 3.08 in the other 80 Turbo.

Redneck: The 78 front is good, but the 79 to 81 is cleaner and meaner . The 78 front is growing on me though . I could have it sold to one of the guys in my 10th Anniversary group who has a gold s/e car . He's been after me for a front end. If he swaps me a complete 79 nose for it, I might think about it .

Not all 301 Turbos are WS6 rear disc cars. My 80 Carousel red is a NON WS6 car! But yes, Poncho for Poncho helps out.

It was just a regular 80 Turbo. If it were an S/E car, I would have been upset to see it chopped up.

I'll try to get pics to you both soon.

Regards,