Getting double charged?

Old 01-28-02, 11:37 AM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Getting double charged?

Have '93 Dodge Caravan. Timing belt broke and took part of distributor mounts with it (according to dealer mechanic). Just rec'v'd call; the water pump is leaking and will cost $345 and tax to replace. Am I being charged twice on labor for the water pump?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-02, 11:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How much is the whole repair cost?

No, it's smart. If the pump goes bad after it's all back together (Likely), it will be double labor to redo the job and it might ruin the timing belt by soaking it with coolant.

Their idea is smart, but if they're going to do all that (replace the belt and water pump) for 345, that's pretty good.

Old 01-28-02, 12:32 PM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
Talking

Joe, thank you for your timely response. I am embarrassed to say that the $345 is only for the water pump. Replacing timing belt and distributor mounts is ~$976 plus the $345 for the water pump. This is why I am wondering if I'm getting double charged.

Old 01-28-02, 12:39 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ask for a breakdown of the labor and parts involved and compare it to other shops for the same thing. Ask what is being replaced and what labor and parts are involved.

It seems quite high. You might try an independent garage. They will likely be quite a bit more reasonable.

Old 01-28-02, 12:43 PM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
$1321.00 for that! Ouch!! Seems awful high to me. I would get a second opinion. That's a lot of money to put into a '93, unless it's in excellent shape and you plan to keep it for a while.

Just my two cents.

Old 01-28-02, 12:46 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree.

Old 01-28-02, 07:06 PM
Call the service department at the dealership and ask whether the water pump is removed for a timing belt replacement. If the answer is no then no problem. If the answer is yes then ask Why they are double charging you....It could be either scenario and if they do indeed pull it for the change, It could be possible they priced it out on their computer that didn't take into consideration about in regards to the timing belt or the service writer didn't either. I would also recommend getting another quote..

Old 01-28-02, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Of course, part of the problem with going to the dealership is that they are required to install the gold-plated, over-priced OEM parts AND they probably have a higher hourly labor rate. Which is okay if it's warranty work; but once it's coming out of your OWN pocket, find a good independent that uses reputable aftermarket parts. Towed a Ford AWAY from the local dealership the other day when the owner balked at the $500+ price tag for a water pump and thermostat job.

Old 01-29-02, 05:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
TowGuy is right...

Sometimes though, the OE parts are the best solution..or the only solution as there might not be an aftermarket part made for the car.

But, I agree, try another shop. The shop can buy the parts from Chrysler discounted and do just as good of a job in most cases. Some are BETTER than dealerships in what they do. That's the type of shop you want to bring your vehicle to for repair .

I do agree, as all others have stated to get a second opinion on the job and the cost. Even try another Chrysler dealer. Not all are created equal!

Old 01-29-02, 11:14 AM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thank you all for your remarks!!!
This is a great forum!
I made a call and am having the work done at another shop. Their estimate for timing belt and water pump ~$450.
Dealership didn't offer me a kiss or real apology when I pointed out the housing for timing belt would already be removed. Service department super claims did not know what involved to replace water pump.......... Right..
This has re-enforced my opinion to ONLY have WARRANTY Work done at the dealer....... and take it to a shop if I can't do it.
Again I thank you for your suggestions.

Bluecanary25

Old 01-29-02, 12:07 PM
Group Moderator
I agree with Joe that there are some cases where the dealership is sometimes necessary. Case in point would be a suspected bad electronic component of the $Expensive/non-returnable variety$. Most independents would not want to gamble, say, $1000 for a computer that might not be bad, whereas the dealer will have one sitting on the shelf and can plug it in to see if it gets the desired results. Wasn't the $1000 computer? No problem; throw the part back on the shelf.

The service supervisors aren't expected to know everything, but they should know what they DON'T know!

Old 01-29-02, 12:11 PM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
$450.00 for the whole job. That's more like it. Glad it worked out for you. I agree, only take it to a dealership when it is under warranty.

Old 01-29-02, 12:12 PM
Group Moderator
Just one parting shot; it's been my experience that the best shops are the owner-operated ones where the owner has to wipe his hands on a rag before he shakes your hand.

Old 01-29-02, 12:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sometimes the dealership is the only (Or sometimes best) source of the PARTS too!

That's when you are stuck (unless you go used, which can be a gamble depending on what it is).

Old 01-29-02, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not only does the timing belt cover have to come off, but the belt itself has to come off to change the pump. (It sounds like you have a 3.0 engine.) They really should just charge you for a water pump replacement, since the belt gets changed anyway during this procedure. The timing belt drives the pump on this one.

Search this Thread