Ford 3.8

Old 01-28-02, 05:53 PM
JG
Visiting Guest
Ford 3.8

Ok i have a problem
1993 Ford T-bird 3.8 Auto

After a rebuild and after i set the basic timming, the car stays at basic. The car has no advance. So i changed out the MAF, ECM, distributer, TFI, TPS, I tested the coolent sensor and it was good. The car is running rich/lean on the left bank (the codes came right after one another) The injectors are not origional and came off of a 1996 4.6 t-bird . So what could cause the car to have no idle advance.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-02, 05:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Your injectors. They are likely wrong. Why would you put 4.6 injectors in a 3.8?

Different dynamic, static flow. Likely different resistance.

You gain zero, repeat, zero benefit by stepping up injectors on a totally stock engine.

My vote's for putting the correct injectors as cataloged for the vehicle and it should run fine.

Call up the Ford dealer and verify what the part #s are for the two applications. If they are different numbers, your problem is surely here.

Old 01-29-02, 08:32 AM
JG
Visiting Guest
I put those injectors in because i needed a new set. The old ones were badly mangled. But could those injectors cause a change in timming?
Thanks

Old 01-29-02, 09:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
In a way.

The computer is probably trying to compensate or is firing them the wrong way. You can easily damage the computer with the wrong injectors.

Go to www.motorcraft.com and look up what Ford/Motorcraft show for each application.

Again, if the part numbers differ, this is your problem. Putting a square peg in a round hole doesn't work. .

Old 01-29-02, 09:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Your problem is likely the injectors.

I went to Motorcraft's website.

The 96 TBird 4.6 V8 uses part # CM-4809 for the injectors.

The 93 TBird 3.8, non Supercharged uses #CM-4722.

Change the injectors to the right parts and tell us what you've got after that. You're quite lucky...the wrong resistance injectors could have blown the injector driver and caused a lot of grief .

Old 01-29-02, 09:22 AM
JG
Visiting Guest
thanks for the help, i will let you know what happons!

Old 01-29-02, 10:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ok, it will be interesting to know.

Old 02-03-02, 03:56 PM
JG
Visiting Guest
Results!

Ok, I changed out the Injectors to origionals, no change. So I picked up an O2 sensor and an Idle Air Sensor. I installed the Idle Air sensor first. And what do you know? I now have advance at idle. It was the last thing that I could think of. (No really, It was the only sensor besides the O2 that I didn't change)
Glad thats fixed.

Thanks for the help Joe!

Old 02-04-02, 09:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good to hear you got it going!

Keep those correct injectors in there as the wrong ones might be ok now but cause trouble in the long run.

Ford keeps two numbers in their system for a reason .