92 Ranger hesitates

Old 01-28-02, 10:11 PM
Fyxxez
Visiting Guest
92 Ranger hesitates

I've a 92 Ford Ranger with the 4.0 liter v-6 fuel injected motor,AC full power, 5 speed manual transmission. Sometimes when its cold it hesitates like my ol chevy did when the accelerator pump was bad. I'm guessing some sensor is bad , but which,where and how do I check it? oh yeah, how much is this gonna cost me? lol

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-02, 03:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
See my signature post for how to check for trouble codes. Start there and post what you find.

Good luck. Don't I know you from Jeff1's appliance forum? You're an appliance tech as I recall, right?

Old 01-29-02, 05:54 AM
Fyxxez
Visiting Guest
I AM from Jeffs forum, I have a part time appliance repair service, the rest of the time I put out fires.

Old 01-29-02, 06:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ok, I thought you sounded familiar.

Welcome!

Let us know what you find out when you pull the codes. It should lead you to your problem.

You can test the sweep of your throttle position sensor with a digital multimeter. If it is erratic it will show up on the meter.

If it is cold and gives you grief, a bad or dead coolant temperature sensor will cause that. It will make the computer think the engine is warmed up when it is stone cold. If it is an original part, change it for a new one. Your fuel mileage should improve.

A code check should help point you in the right spot. Autozone for one retailer, rents scanners as part of their tool rental program. A scanner makes it easy to read codes, but you can do it with a jumper wire and count the flashes of the check engine light as a homemade method as well.