Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

98 Venture E Brake HELP needed

NJ

01-29-02, 06:35 AM   #1  
98 Venture E Brake HELP needed

I took our van to Pep Boys for a brake job knowing that the fronts pads needed replaced at 33k miles. They showed me that the rotors were shot on the inside as they could not be cut. I went from a $100.00 brake job to a $300.00 brake job. They adjusted and cleaned the rear brakes. Everything felt good when I left. Took the car home & put the e-brake on {we use it everytime we park since we bought it new}. The wife went shopping & came back saying that the van is hopping and feels like the brakes are stuck on. I took it back to Pep Boys and the right rear was way to tight. They adjusted that side and then the left over tightened. They finally balanced and I left. On the way home the e-brake pedal started to make a LOUD ticking sound like a baseball card in bike spokes. I again took it back and they now claim the work has nothing to do with the worn out pedal. The van only has 33k miles and did not do this prior. Any thoughts? I am putting a credit card dispute in but I really can't stand this ticking that is louder than the radio!!! HELP Please.

Doug

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-29-02, 06:43 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Check www.alldata.com for known bulletins with this problem.

Generally, rear disc brakes are self adjusting and don't require "adjustment" but bad calipers will cause that. Is it drum or disc? Sounds like it's still misadjusted again.

Bring it to another shop to have it done right and dispute the first shop's (Pep Boys) repairs on your credit card. I wouldn't trust them for much, but that's me .

If you insist on dealing with Pep Boys, call the corporate office (I believe it's in Philadelphia) and make an issue out of it. I sure would.

NJ

01-29-02, 06:51 AM   #3  
98 Venture Brakes

Joe the rear brakes are drum. Could the e-brake cable stretch do to the brakes being on and if so now that there is slack it is vibrating? If I put slight pressure on the e-brake pedal the noise goes away.

Thanks for the help. It will probable be going to the dealer as I don't have any shops that I trust. This is what happens when I get lazy. I should have done the job myself

Doug

Visiting Guest

01-29-02, 06:53 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Yes, a stuck, stretched or wiped out E-brake cable might cause that.

I'll bet they adjusted them wrong.

Try removing the E-brake (actually it's a parking brake, not an emergency brake in technical terms...it's not made to stop the vehicle ), from the picture and see if that helps. If it does, I'd look for a cable problem or problems inside the drum.

NJ

02-12-02, 08:07 AM   #5  
Joe_F,

Thanks for the help. The parking brake cable was stretched. Pep Boys made good on the job and installed a new cable all free of charge. They then said hope to see you again real soon....

I think I will stick to my back yard mechanical abilities in the future.

Doug

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 09:03 AM   #6  
Joe_F
My cousin has contended with their repairs for a few weeks now.

Gave it back, serpentine belt broke the next day.
Got it back, smoking badly, leaking oil.
Did the oil pan gasket, might still be leaking...lol
Snapped another belt yesterday, they can't say why.

My uncle knew some folks in the corporate office and had to make some phone calls to get anywhere.

Perhaps it's just this store, I don't know...

NJ

02-12-02, 09:30 AM   #7  
Pep Boys Mechanics

Joe_F

I got the distinct impression that the mechanics are sub contracters that rent the bays and are paid by the job completed. The head mechanic was real annoyed that the one that did the work on my car called out sick the day they were to install the new cable. Spent 2.5 hours on that and the rest of the work load was backing up. He said he was going to have to work late that night to make any money.

Just my observation.

Doug

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 09:33 AM   #8  
Joe_F
News to me about their contract type work. I wouldn't know, I don't frequent those places except for some items which are commodity type items .

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 10:35 AM   #9  
mooser1
moral of this story? you get not only WHAT but also WHO you pay for....

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 12:28 PM   #10  
Joe_F
Which is typically why if you want it done right...

"Do it yourself"

Hence this site, right? . Lol

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 12:57 PM   #11  
mooser1
either that or let your mechanically inclined relatives do it for ya, right Joe?

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 01:05 PM   #12  
Joe_F
Yes, my mechanically inclined relatives:

Me, myself and I .

Lol. My relatives are good helpers though.

My neighbor is the one who is a mechanic. We usually tackle that stuff together. Last New Year's day it was tackling a no heat/carbonized boiler problem. Exactly a year later, we had a dead control on the boiler at his house, and I had to find the part on New Years Day (score one for the old time hardware store, zero for Home Depot that day) and then figure out how to put it in. Spent the whole afternoon there and did get heat .

Did the exhaust on my mother's 93 Saturn this week. 275 bucks for dealer parts, and that's discounted (but I got everything, including hangers from the cat back). I can't see how someone could do it without air tools. The rust, the stuck bolts and all the trouble, no way without power you could do this and still remain sane! .

Search this Thread