Altenator?

Old 01-29-02, 12:06 PM
AkRach
Visiting Guest
Altenator?

I have a 1988 subaru. Saturday all 4 lights (break, oil, emergency and something else) came on and when going around 40+ you hear this tick tick tick (really fast...) sound.

Today I fire her up, let it run 20 minutes (it's cold here and has some engine problems, warming up helps). Took off, noticed my lights on the dash were really dim, got to work (maybe a 5 minute drive) and the car dies. Tried to start it and it wont even turn over or catch....

Im taking it in today... any ideas?? I need this car to last me 6 more months before I can buy a new car....

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-02, 12:36 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have the shop test the alternator output and if it is less than 13.5 volts, engine running with all accessories on, the alternator is likely bad.

Check my signature file for some more links and ideas.

Yup, pitch the Subaru for something better when you have the greenbacks .

Old 01-29-02, 02:08 PM
AkRach
Visiting Guest
I actually really like this car (I like how I fit in it, how I reach stuff--easy to turn or push knobs, excellent 4 wheel drive....).
My husband has a 2001 Saturn and I *hate* it. I have to stretch to reach anything, to roll the window down the controls are in the middle of the car, not on the door...

We had to jump it to get it started and all the inside lights were nice and bright, unhooked it, took off down the road and the lights dimmed to almost nothing (BTW these were the "red" check engine, check breaks ect... lights). They were on but barely... and I was going down the road and it wasnt like a "Uhhhhhhhhhhhh" (thats my engine sound lol) it was like Uhhhh hhhh hhhhh hhhhhhh hhhhhh :/

Got it in to the mechanic and I will report back once he calls me (he had to take his daughte to court for not paying some fine **woooops**).
I told him if it's more then the Altenator, I am not putting the money in to fix it...

Originally posted by Joe_F
Have the shop test the alternator output and if it is less than 13.5 volts, engine running with all accessories on, the alternator is likely bad.

Check my signature file for some more links and ideas.

Yup, pitch the Subaru for something better when you have the greenbacks .

Old 01-29-02, 02:54 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Subarus tend to soak you bad when they get old.

Parts tend to be unique, a little rare, weird and expensive.

They are also quite crude and rough and rot out. I never liked them.

In the realm of Japanese vehicles, I find Toyota to be far superior.

Old 01-29-02, 03:03 PM
AkRach
Visiting Guest
if I could afford a Toyota (some day!!!!) I would buy it in a heartbeat. In alaska ppl tend not to get rid of "good" cars and trucks

Originally posted by Joe_F

In the realm of Japanese vehicles, I find Toyota to be far superior.

Old 01-29-02, 08:33 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I didn't even notice you were from Alaska.

Yup, different world out there with some things (beautiful state, although I have never been there). Cold as anything. BRRRR!!!

I don't usually get rid of anything that's running well either. But, I tend to keep my cars for a very long time and stick with them for the long haul .