best used mid-size car to buy?

Old 01-29-02, 02:14 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
best used mid-size car to buy?

I am looking for the best mid-sized used car to buy in your view which cars have you had good luck and few repairs with?

Old 01-29-02, 02:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What year and price range are you looking for?

Ask a guy like me, and I'll say 80's rear drive GM V8.

Cheap, reliable, easy to fix, and parts are plentiful.

Old 01-29-02, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
On the other hand, ask a guy like ME and I'll say Toyota! [I swear I'm not on their payroll, Joe!].

Costs a little more, but pretty much bullet-proof. As noted in several previous posts, have over 120,000 miles on my '95 Camry, uses no oil, gets great mileage, and runs like it just came off the showroom floor. Joe would probably own one if it was only rear wheel drive. LOL

Old 01-29-02, 07:01 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. I've been looking for a 2nd car for a while and there are lots of ads in my paper for them with over 200,000 miles on them , and even then, they arent dirt cheap. They must be very reliable although I haven't owned either one myself.

Old 01-29-02, 08:13 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Which reminds me not to buy a Taurus.

I just got back from my cousin's house.

Two Ford Taurus models there, 93 and a 96. Both 3.0 SOHC engines.

Both junk. Lol.

I got the "HELP" call from my cousin, who is a computer tech. Lol.

The 96 radiator cap blew apart in 12 pieces into the reservoir. Since his wife's 93 was at Pep Boys for a new belt (don't ask..lol) and to put in a new harmonic balancer (after it chewed up the day old belt they put in..lol) we got the cap. Last one, $3.49 in Stant. I had to lead the guy through the lookup. Lol.

That being said, we drove the 93 home. Smoked the whole way home. I thought it was the paint burning off from the new balancer.

Nope, oil leak. They did something.

All I know is that I will be into the Alldata and Microcat Ford system tomorrow making printout and I will be on a conference call with the CEO of PepBoys (who my uncle apparently knows) and my uncle and cousin.

So a Taurus, I can surely say NO GO .

Lol.

Old 01-30-02, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
Hey, Joe, those must be some primo condition Taurus's (Tauri?) if
the tranny's are still able to move them under their own power.

Old 01-30-02, 01:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol.

My cousin's 96 Taurus tranny slips and it's an FQR rebuilt from Ford that was already in there when he got it in 1998 or so! Lol.

Old 01-30-02, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
My condolences.

Old 01-31-02, 08:39 AM
55Redneck
Visiting Guest
90% of all Fords made are still on the road.

The other 10% made it home.

Old 01-31-02, 08:41 AM
Group Moderator
Great line, red, will have to remember that one.

Old 01-31-02, 09:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. That's a good one.

Old 01-31-02, 09:58 AM
joelp
Visiting Guest
While I know there are a good deal of you out there that don't like foreign cars, I happen to think that you can't beat the HONDA. Great car, usually excellent service from the dealer, and few problems. Have excellent resale value and they ride great even after they have 100K on them. I guess we taught them how to make a great car.

Old 01-31-02, 10:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
So much so, they make it here now in the States .

I find that Hondas are very expensive, and the parts follow suit. They are also overly complicated and when things go bad, get out your wet suit, you're getting soaked.

My neighbor is a mechanic and has numerous Toyotas in his family. Considering most of his siblings borrow his cars, they have held up pretty well and are pretty easy to service.

Parts are also cheaper and just as readily available.

If we are talking small cars and Japanese, I say Toyota and for each his own as you indicated. All tempered by our experience.

When people say they have 150k on a Toyota, I remind them that my 84 Olds 88 went through four teenagers, two adults and now me. And it starts and runs beautifully every morning.

It's just getting warmed up. Lol.

Old 01-31-02, 11:30 AM
joelp
Visiting Guest
Actually, I like them both, but the dealer here is the best, so I have stuck with Honda. I guess its all about how you treat the car, how the car treats you and the treatment you both get at the garage. Honda parts can be a bit pricey but you don't have that many times that you really need them. Honda USA is also very good about complaints and back their cars!

Old 02-01-02, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
And don't forget to keep those timing belts replaced religiously at the recommended intervals. Hondas are very unforgiving (and $$$) of lack of preventive maintenance

Old 02-01-02, 05:51 AM
joelp
Visiting Guest
Every 50K or so. Yeah, it gets a little steep, as the going rate for a timing belt change with a seal and water pump, (I do it all at the same time) runs about $500. at the dealer. But the same dealer has saved me thousands on other things, so I use him religiously.

Thanks,
and great site!

Old 02-01-02, 03:32 PM
toucansam
Visiting Guest
Enough of the high priced foriegn/domestic stuff. The Olds Cutless Supreme is probably the finest midsized American made car available. The older V8s were pace setters and the newer down sized models are virtually problem free. That's probably why GM is discontinuing the Olds line.

Old 02-01-02, 03:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You must be from Lansing Michigan, where Oldsmobile is located . Lol.

I do agree with you 110%, but not everyone shares our view of old, simple and reliable there Sam .

Old 02-01-02, 03:43 PM
toucansam
Visiting Guest
Actually I'm not from Lansing but Cereal City (Battle Creek), not too far away. I've owned a Honda and it was a great car until I got hit head on. I've owned Detroit IRON ever since.

Old 02-01-02, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Tell the truth, Joe, toucansam is really you under a different name singing GM's praises, lol.

Old 02-01-02, 06:35 PM
redneck
Visiting Guest
I have owned Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Ford, and Chevy. I personally would not buy another Ford new or used. The first three I ran as work beaters--probabily worked on the Honda the most--but it was cheap and easy to fix ('86 civic). The four Toyotas (2-4x4 trucks, a supra, and a celica) were all excellent vehicles! The subaru was much less refined--but reliable. I currently only own chevy. '98 GMC z71 to haul my toys and do my work. And a '91 v6 berreta which is my current work beater--and it is on its way to 200,000 fast! I feel it has performed and will continue to--just as good as the jap cars I have owned. Personally I am past the foreign car thing and will only buy US brand names---I can't explain why--it is just a decision I have made!!

Old 02-01-02, 07:57 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No, Toucansam is not me

I like GM because they are cheap, classy, reliable and easy to fix.

I can tune that whole car up, change the oil and flush the antifreeze for under 100 bucks in parts Try that with a foreign car.

My Olds seats six, rides like a dream and is as strong as a truck. I pass many newer stuck cars on the road in all weather. It just labors on with TLC and good upkeep.

It runs smooth and passes the NYS dyno test with ease. Not to mention it has 141k on the clock and has seen some severe service over the years.

Best part about it: It was free .

Old 02-02-02, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
Well, I guess a FREE used car would be the best of all (as long as it's not a Ford) LOL

Old 02-02-02, 03:46 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You got that right!

I just got done doing the radiator on my cousin's 93 Taurus.

The hardest part was wiggling out the fan and the short throw on the 13mm flare wrench for the tranny cooler lines.

That car is complete junk. You can have it . Lol.

Old 02-02-02, 04:31 PM
toucansam
Visiting Guest
Wow! Replacing the radiator on an 8 year old car. I thought that Chrysler products had a monopoly on that. My beater Chvy pick-up is 12 years old and the only coolant change it ever got was when I had to replace a thermostat.
I guess that with the newer radiators with plastic tanks etc, you're probably lucky if they last that long. $hit !!! The way outsourcing is going, all the radiators are probably made by the same company nowa days.

Old 02-04-02, 01:17 PM
jmet
Visiting Guest
Hey what about Buick? Are they reliable?

On my 94 lesabre i have changed the throttle position sensor,vacum modulator on tranny, changed tranny filter and fluid, flushed the radiator, all for under 100 bucks.

Next im going to replace the Cat. converter since i probally dirtied it bad with the bad vac. modulator....

Overall it hasnt been bad...

My wife has a 92 lesabre with over 200,000 and it purrs like a kitten, no knocks or pings whatsoever.....

Old 02-04-02, 02:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Overall, they are OK. Roomy, decent and cheap on parts, since it's all common GM.

Paint falls apart on them, and they have cheap trim, as many later GM's of this vintage do.

My sister's father-in-law has a 1993 LeSabre and it is fine. The paint started coming off in sheets though .

Old 02-04-02, 02:46 PM
jmet
Visiting Guest
Indeed, my wifes is grey and is a paint peeler, mine though has been repainted.

Old 02-04-02, 02:50 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
My sister's in law's car is hunter/dark green and it is turning to dust. I have seen others like it.

Shame

Old 02-04-02, 02:50 PM
toucansam
Visiting Guest
Let's see, your sister's father inlaw could be any male on the planet except you, me, your father or her husband (and I'm not to sure about you) LOL

Old 02-04-02, 03:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
However you slice it (Newsflash: It's not me..lol) the paint is peeling .

I have seen other Buicks like it as well. Actually a lot of late 80's and early 90's cars (not just GM) have had this problem.

The blues, blacks, greys, greens, browns and other dark colors seem to be the worst.

Old 02-04-02, 05:58 PM
toucansam
Visiting Guest
Wrong. The Silver on my 90 Chevy PU is the worst. But, that is probably because "I" own the problem.

Old 02-04-02, 07:18 PM
Visiting Guest
gm...easiest to find part for...great getup and go...when ya to pass only

Old 02-04-02, 07:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. Elaborate please?

Old 02-04-02, 10:07 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
Mid size cars

guys I did not know this question would get such a great responce. I am trying to buy american my father taught me to allways try to help the american worker. I am looking for a car with front wheel drive. which ones would you buy?

Old 02-05-02, 03:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
In all technicality, the Camry and Accord are made and assembled here in the States and DO employ American workers

Camry is made in Kentucky and the Accord in Ohio.

Old 02-05-02, 05:00 AM
joelp
Visiting Guest
accord and civic are almost 100% US made. The only parts that come from Japan are on the 6 Cyl. Tran and Engine. American workers do the assembly in Merrysville Ohio. Toyota is put together on the same assembly line as the GM Prizm. (Same car different name.)

Old 02-05-02, 06:31 AM
Group Moderator
Huxley, can I assume you never shop at Wal-Mart? Try finding anything made in the USA in THERE! Not complaining, I shop there all the time (although I do absolutely refuse to buy anything made in Red China).

Get a Camry (even Joe's starting to be a convert; he'd own one himself if only it was rear wheel drive, LOL).

Old 02-05-02, 09:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Nothing like a good old GM car. You know that TowGuy! Lol.

I buy old, American and simple. Best way. Lasts the longest and is the cheapest to run. Simple to fix and parts are available anywhere.

That being said, the Camry IS a good car. I do like it. Toyota gets my vote overall for "small" cars. My mother has a Saturn. It is relatively easy to fix and service. Parts are quite reasonable for it as well and the dealer has almost everything in stock or can get it for the next day which is good. My dealer locally by work is excellent and my local dealer where I live is open 8 to 5 on Saturday, and also gives me a break on parts. Excellent!

Only Camry I REALLY liked was the Camry coupe (in fact my mechanic neighbor thought I was a genius when I told him to get one when he was looking for a new car...wound up with a 2001 Corolla Type S, because he waited 4 years to buy a new car...lol).

Toyota discontinued it and replaced it with the Solara which is fairly sharp as well.

Old 02-05-02, 03:20 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
tow guy

hi tow guy I do shop at walmart all the time but at the same time I look for quality.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: