Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Vehicle search

Visiting Guest

01-30-02, 08:43 AM   #1  
PDF
Vehicle search

My daughter is looking for a used vehicle. I already asked about a 1994 Skylark and was not impressed with the reviews it received. She has also checked into the following vehicles:
1). 1993 Suzuki Sidekick - 4 cyl., 16 valve eng., auto., 4/dr w/
PS, PB, A/C, 4 WD, and has $72,000 miles for $4995.

2). 1996 Mercury Sable - 6 cyl, auto, PS, PB, A/C, Pow. Wind.,
1 owner (traveled) for $4995, w/ 90.000 mi.

3). 1995 Hundayi (sp ?) Elantra, 4 cyl, 4/dr, not fully loaded, 78,000 mi., $2995

Anyone have some feedback on any of these cars? I do know that the Suzuki had a recall on the right rear and left axle shaft housing tubes that had been welded incorrectly and could cause a fracture that needs to be checked before purchase. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-30-02, 09:17 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Sit on the bench . Three strikes...

You picked three winners. Lol.

Go with a four cylinder Camry or Accord of this vintage. Probably the best overall if we are talking small cars.

Big cars are better, but in the realm of small cars, the Toyotas fare the best I believe.

Visiting Guest

01-30-02, 10:10 AM   #3  
xiii13
Joe_F is right, all three are bad. First choice would be a Toyota 4-cyl., second choice Honda.

Visiting Guest

01-30-02, 01:07 PM   #4  
PDF
4,200 dollars

This is what my daughter has saved to buy a car.She wants no payments.Point me in a direction for a car you would recommend for the money she has.The last car she bought was an 89 Plymouth Sundance.She bought it in 1997 for 1200 dollars.The only big expense was the steering rack.I think for 4,200 dollars there should be a good car around somewhere.Thanks.

Visiting Guest

01-30-02, 01:13 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Already been said:

If you want a basic 4 door small car, a Camry or a Corolla.

Visiting Guest

01-30-02, 01:19 PM   #6  
PDF
Thanks for your

valuable input.But I don't like rice cakes.PDF

Visiting Guest

01-30-02, 01:21 PM   #7  
Joe_F
Buy old GM rear wheel drive then .

Nothing small and American is greatly reliable.

Nothing small is really reliable to me either, but the Toyota is the best of the bunch in small cars.

Old, reliable, cheap, easy to fix and parts are cheap and plentiful.

The only thing is most people don't like the fuel mileage (because they buy the bad ones) or they don't like the style or say it's "too big".

Visiting Guest

01-30-02, 01:54 PM   #8  
jlbos83
A lot of thise 'rice cakes' from that era are more American than the American cars. I think it's time to let that go and get the best car for your daughter. Just my opinion.

Visiting Guest

01-30-02, 02:01 PM   #9  
xiii13
Let it go! Two of the cars in your original post are foreign - Suzuki & Hyundai. Toyotas & Hondas are made in the states. Besides, your money isn't going to the "Rice Cakes" anyway, but to the person that is selling the car.

Visiting Guest

01-30-02, 02:50 PM   #10  
PDF
I found it,I found it!!!!!!!!!!!!

1990 Crown Vic station wagon---1 owner ,loaded,complete list of all repairs,---------108,000 miles,rear wheel drive,---private owner will warranty for 3 months any or all repairs---3,000 dollars---PDF

Visiting Guest

01-31-02, 07:54 AM   #11  
Joe_F
Strike 1 again. Ford.

Stay with GM of this vintage .

My .02

Search this Thread