Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plug wire keeps popping out - Infinity G20

Visiting Guest

01-31-02, 05:50 AM   #1  
Davef15
Plug wire keeps popping out - Infinity G20

Hi guys - hope you can help me out of the dog house. Have a 1994 Infinity, G20. Problem is the plug wire for the second plug from the left "popped" out of the cover. Not real familiar with these engines. Looks like double overhead cam engine, and the plugs are recessed way down under. The wires have about a 6 in length of hard plastic with about a 1 1/4 in dia rubber "plug" that snaps into what looks like a valve cover. Anyway, the wire popped out and in doing so, it was broken. I got a new set of Bosch wires for the car and replaced all of them. The same thing is happening every two or three days - always the second plug from the left. I talked to the service department at Infinity and they want to charge me 79.00 to give me an estimate but they will not do so until they charge me 125.00 to install a new set of OEM wires. I explained the wires were Bosch, specifically for the G20 (they acknowledge they are good quality) and, the reason I changed them was the first, which were OEM wires popped out so it more than likely was not the fault of the replacement wires. Additionally, before I changed the wires, I inspected them critically (dimensions and construction) before I installed them. Without benefit of physical analysis on the materials, they were identical. Service manager has no idea whats wrong.

I was suspecting a leak in the spark plug, pressurizing the cavity but that seems remote since #1, there doesn't seem to be any loss of power. #2, I don't hear any leaking, and #3, I would think the seal on the cover would "burp" rather than blowing out completely. Got any suggestions

Thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links

01-31-02, 07:27 AM   #2  
I would suggest to change that #2 plug it maybe the terminal nut is loose. Also check the spark plug if its loose if its loose your plug wires will come loose as what you mentioned. Also when you depress the plug wires you should feel it lock on the turminal nut of the spark plugs. Maybe Joe can give you more pointers. I hope this helps. Keep me posted.

OM

Visiting Guest

01-31-02, 07:40 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I would say use the OE wires. There tends to be a difference.

I only stick with OE wires.

Sorry, one of the "benefits" of owning a luxury car.

Visiting Guest

01-31-02, 09:41 AM   #4  
Davef15
Connection is solid with a distinct metal to metal contact on the plug. As the end seats on the plug, the rubber gasket goes in the hole and seals. In fact, it takes a bit of pull to get it off. I'll take the plug out and check it. Where would I get the OE parts? The infinity dealer doesn't have them in stock and will have to order them. Gee that's funny - if I bring the car in they will install a set for 125 bucks imediately but they don't seem to have a set they can sell me.

I would hardly call this a luxury car - its not mine, I'm just trying to help out a young college girl whos parents have passed away recently. She has been taking it to the dealer but evertime she takes it in, the bill is at least 300 bucks. Some of the crap they have pulled is rediculous - I think they see young girl and o boy, here's the chance to make up for the slow week. We were hoping to get her through this year and then get her into a good old american car - at least one where we have more options for repair. The infinity dealer is the only game in town.

Visiting Guest

01-31-02, 09:45 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Call your local Nissan dealer (not Infiniti).

The G20 is a Sentra in disguise with the same SR20DE 2.0L engine. Probably the same wire set and part number.

It's Infiniti's 1990's version of the Cadillac Cimarron.

Visiting Guest

01-31-02, 12:58 PM   #6  
Davef15
Thanks for the tip - was a great idea. I looked them up and called - guess what - same D*** service department. The only Infinity dealer in the area is also the only Nissan dealer in the area. What a racket!!!

Got a couple of other leads - I'll let you know how I make out. Again, thanks for the help.

Visiting Guest

01-31-02, 01:24 PM   #7  
Joe_F
Geez Dave, I don't want to live wherever you're living! Lol.

Around here in NYC, there are tons of the same types of dealers and they all compete. You get different prices and have to shop around.

Search this Thread