Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

F250 V8 Gas P/U Door Chime

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-02-02, 07:07 PM   #1  
F250 V8 Gas P/U Door Chime

My 1999 Ford 250 Superduty sounds a chiming noise when the speed reaches 73 mph and continues until the speed falls below 73 mph. The chiming noise is the same as the door chime or key in the ignition chime. Has it possibly been programed to be some sort of a tattle tale. It has done this since I bought it (used). If it is programed, can I reset it. If not can I disconect the chime altogethor AND HOW? Local ford dealer said they did not know what it was over a phone conversation. Any Ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-02-02, 07:22 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Check www.alldata.com for any known bulletins on this problem.

The GEM module comes to mind as a possibility or fault in it.

Gotta love Ford. It could only happen to them .

Years ago, there were cars with speed alarms. In fact, it is a sought after option on some cars .

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-02-02, 07:36 PM   #3  
What is the GEM module? Where would I locate it and how to replace it. Can I disconect the chime altogethor?

Visiting Guest

02-02-02, 07:49 PM   #4  
Joe_F
I forget at the moment, but Fordtech of this forum will be along. He is the guru of things of Blue Oval Making.

Might be a bad door jamb switch or chime module.

Would have to get into it with a wiring diagram.

Dealer should cover it for free under the factory warranty.

02-03-02, 03:08 PM   #5  
GEM= Generic electronic module.I too am not familiar with any over speed warnings on these trucks,but then again i've never driven one that fast either.I did do a little research and found that some of the trucks come out with Speed Dependent Interval Wipers(i wasn't even aware of this) ,and if yours is equipped with this it might cause this concern.Depending on the speed of the vehicle,the GEM module uses the vehicle speed sensors readings to adjust wiper operation.The system is capable of reading up to 65mph and then shuts down until the speed reduces.
I hope this helps!!

Visiting Guest

02-03-02, 06:08 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Why on God's green earth would the wipers slow down when the truck does?

If it's raining profusely, it doesn't matter if you're going 65 or 25, you can't see s*****t. Lol.

Isn't that what the speed selection on the wiper switch is for? Lol

Am I misunderstanding this? What a dumb idea!

Visiting Guest

02-03-02, 07:18 PM   #7  
55Redneck
One of Fords better ideas?

I think I'd rather have the vacuum wipers in my 55 Chevy thank you.

Visiting Guest

02-04-02, 03:50 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Yes, but back in 1955 electrically controlled wiper motors were a new thing

My parent's antique 1941 Plymouth DeLuxe we had when I was a kid had vacuum wipers.

It was a trip to drive in heavy rain. Then again, you had a 6 volt system .

I must say though, that old horse ALWAYS started up. It was one tough old car, even though we only used it for pleasure as we had three other cars at the time

02-04-02, 03:55 PM   #9  
I agree with all that's posted,i too feel some of this new technology is for the birds!!.But,as you all know there are people out there that are to lazy to have to do things themselves.For instance we had one lady in with her Lincoln LS (vehicle has the automatic wiper system to where if it senses rain drops it automatically turns wipers on),and because we had to order another module to fix it ,she refused to drive it stating see "is not going to manually turn on the wipers".

Search this Thread