Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Intermittent hard shifts

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-02-02, 11:34 PM   #1  
Intermittent hard shifts

91 Full size Eddie Bauer Bronco, 351 cid, automatic w/ push button 4wd, 170k miles. Following a sudden stop or even a slightly sudden stop, the transmission will, almost without fail, shift very hard when changing gears from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. Its worse after the vehicle has been driven for about 30 minutes and the problem seems to be compounded by hot weather. I have owned this vehicle for about 3 years and the problem has not been getting any worse or better. Its been consistently the same over time. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-03-02, 06:30 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Likely internal failure at this mileage...

Change your fluid and filter. Look to see if there are known bulletins in Alldata.com.

Barring that, rebuild time

Group Moderator

FL

02-03-02, 07:50 AM   #3  
Joe, does the tranny in that Ford have anything like the input speed sensor on my Chevy W4 trans? Just had to replace it Friday; when it fails it goes into a limp mode where the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts will rattle your teeth. It's an all or nothing failure, though, not the intermittent like the Bronco. Fortunately a 3 minute/$60 fix for me.

Visiting Guest

02-03-02, 09:14 AM   #4  
Joe_F
TowGuy:

It could be a lot of things. What tranny is in your W4? I believe it's an Allison because this is considered Medium Duty (the W4 truck).

Actually the W4 is a rebadged Isuzu NPR truck as I recall and is made in Japan.

Group Moderator

FL

02-03-02, 09:49 AM   #5  
Got Chevy and GM badges, but says Isuzu in lots of places. It's a '94, but basically same truck as my partner's '99 NPR except a little smaller, weighs in at about 9,250. Not sure what tranny, this is the truck he drove before we got the NPR; has all the specs memorized including the tranny model # that he rattled off to our friends at the tranny shop finding the sensor (AL or EL ###, something like that; probably AL which would make sense - probably is an Allison). Near as we could tell, got about 60k miles since the last time that sensor crapped, fortunately in town, but off course 16 traffic lights between me and the tranny shop that gave me about 7 or 8 chances to have to go up through the gears. Best part was free installation while I waited and the part we'll take out in trade.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-04-02, 07:24 PM   #6  
before ya get too carried away climb under it and be sure the trany mount isn`t broken....after a sudden stop the tranny will move and reseat itself at takeoff... prob not the problem but wouldn`t be the first time i`ve seen it...just push up on the tail housing and see if ya can lift it...

Search this Thread