Voltage Regulator?

Old 02-03-02, 12:27 AM
h2mach4
Visiting Guest
Voltage Regulator?

I've owned my 1988 Chevy Celebrity Euro Sport 2.8 L for about 2 years. It has had the following problem since I've had it: I notice my dashboard lights dim when...
1) I touch the brakes
2) use turn signals (dim for each blink)
3) Use blower fan

With the brakes & blower, they just dim for a second, and they recover. I replaced the alternator, because it went bad. The battery is 7 years old. Can you tell me if there is a problem, or is this normal for this car?

Cheers,
AL

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-02, 06:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It's normal at lower speeds/idle because the alternator belt is turning slower so the output is lower.

Charge the battery up. It should read 12.5 volts. If it's four years old or more, pitch it and get a Delco. (best battery for the price in my opinion).

Now start up your car. Hook up digital meter (if you don't have one, Sears sells them for about 30 bucks) to the battery posts. You should have 14.2 volts with the engine running and no accessories on.

Now add accessories (Lights, wipers, turn signals, blower, defroster, etc), if you don't get 13.5 volts or higher on your meter, the alternator is wiped.

Old 02-03-02, 07:59 AM
h2mach4
Visiting Guest
Joe,

Thanks for the info. I've had electrical system checks like that done on several cars. They never told me what readings they were looking for. Very happy you gave me the test readings & procedure.

Cheers,
AL

Old 02-03-02, 09:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No problem.

If you need a reman alternator, go with an AC Delco. They tend to last longer.