Group 7 oil filters???

Old 02-03-02, 05:58 AM
Question Group 7 oil filters???

Hi,
My local Auto parts store carries "Group 7" oil filters,made by Purolator.They are fairly cheap.Are these a good quality filter?
Iam going to be using them on my 91' Ford F-150 V8,and my 97' Chevy Camaro V6.Thanks, Charlie

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-02, 06:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I have used them. They are OK. They are a "mechanic's brand" of filter.

Stick with Delco for the Chevy. Kmart and other retailers sell 'em cheap. I usually use Delco in all my Pontiacs. When they go on sale, I stock up on a case or so .

As for the Ford, Motorcraft is the best, but it is a "reboxed" Purolator. I have used Auto Pride filters which are reboxed Hastings products and found them to be very good. I get them for about 1.50 each.

Generally, I stick with the original equipment filter. They are cheap enough.

Old 02-04-02, 09:51 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
oil filters

Joe F is right a purolator would work go on any ford because they make ford filters. If you want to know about filters go to the search engine google and type in: oil filter study. I have good luck with napa filters they are made by wix cost about 2.99 ( not bad for a wix)

Old 02-05-02, 09:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you looked at the same site I once did, it was very good.

It was done by a guy that is into Mini Mopars and bought every part number and brand available for his 2.2 and then cut them open to do an analysis.

He even posted a letter from a quality guy (or former) from Allied Signal that said he was right on about the poor quality of Fram filters. Not sure of the validity of that claim or not, but it's interesting to see what the results were.

Delco was one of the better ones and I believe he mentioned that Wix was a Baldwin filter or Champ labs or had the same style parts inside as these two companies did.

Search this Thread