Water Pump Bad?

Old 02-03-02, 11:10 AM
mcb0420
Visiting Guest
Water Pump Bad?

Hi!
I posted that my 1991 Buick Park Avenue's (3.8L with A/C)serpentine belt had come off. I received some excellent advice from the 'the_tow_guy'. The advice included to check for bad components that might cause it to throw the belt. I think that I identified the problem as the Water Pump, because there seemed to be a lot of play on the pulley(terminology?). Am I barking up the right tree? I am able to wiggle the pulley quite easily while the components other pulleys seem solid. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated, since I am quite the novice. If it is the water pump, I am going to need a lot of advice on how to replace it. Thanx for your time.

-Mike

Old 02-03-02, 03:29 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you can wobble the pulley backwards and forwards then the bearings worn out in the pump.I'd pick up a repair manual and follow it's steps.

Old 02-03-02, 07:14 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with all the advice you got.

Change the belt, hoses, coolant and thermostat while you do the water pump.

Fordtech brings up a good point about a repair manual. It will help you out a lot.

Old 02-04-02, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 66 Votes on 55 Posts
Or, if you are going to keep the car a while, get an alldata subscription as Joe sometimes recommends at www.alldata.com.

Old 02-04-02, 06:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Atta boy TowGuy .

Lol.

Old 02-04-02, 06:40 AM
mcb0420
Visiting Guest
Thanx for all your advice guys!!!

Old 02-04-02, 09:52 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest