Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Water Pump Bad?

Visiting Guest

02-03-02, 10:10 AM   #1  
mcb0420
Water Pump Bad?

Hi!
I posted that my 1991 Buick Park Avenue's (3.8L with A/C)serpentine belt had come off. I received some excellent advice from the 'the_tow_guy'. The advice included to check for bad components that might cause it to throw the belt. I think that I identified the problem as the Water Pump, because there seemed to be a lot of play on the pulley(terminology?). Am I barking up the right tree? I am able to wiggle the pulley quite easily while the components other pulleys seem solid. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated, since I am quite the novice. If it is the water pump, I am going to need a lot of advice on how to replace it. Thanx for your time.

-Mike

Sponsored Links

02-03-02, 02:29 PM   #2  
If you can wobble the pulley backwards and forwards then the bearings worn out in the pump.I'd pick up a repair manual and follow it's steps.

Visiting Guest

02-03-02, 06:14 PM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with all the advice you got.

Change the belt, hoses, coolant and thermostat while you do the water pump.

Fordtech brings up a good point about a repair manual. It will help you out a lot.

Group Moderator

FL

02-04-02, 05:02 AM   #4  
Or, if you are going to keep the car a while, get an alldata subscription as Joe sometimes recommends at www.alldata.com.

Visiting Guest

02-04-02, 05:23 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Atta boy TowGuy .

Lol.

Visiting Guest

02-04-02, 05:40 AM   #6  
mcb0420
Thanx for all your advice guys!!!

Visiting Guest

02-04-02, 08:52 AM   #7  
Joe_F