Dodge Caravan Smoke?

Old 02-04-02, 12:55 PM
h2mach4
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down Dodge Caravan Smoke?

I'm just wondering why almost every dodge mini-van (with a few yrs. on it) I see, is followed by a trail of exhaust smoke? I have two theories:

1) Over worked engine (small engine, pulling heavy load)
2) They don't believe in oil changes

I'd like to hear your thoughts, and do you guys notice the same thing?

Cheers,
AL

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-02, 02:28 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Because they are terrible

The 3.0 is an oil burner. The 2.5, 3.8 and 3.3 do not follow far behind with head gaskets and oil problems.

Chrysler minivans are cheap and affordable. That's why they sold well. They had decent features.

Not much Chrysler of this vintage is really robust or reliable. Sure there's a few good ones, but on the whole they are lackluster.

I know Knuckles has a mid 90's Caravan. Then again for guys like him and me, we can fix our own stuff, so it's not really too much of an issue.

Old 02-10-02, 01:19 PM
trendar
Visiting Guest
I noticed that too; just like you said, the older Caravan/Voyagers are always invariably followed by a trail of blue smoke- I'm more surprised than not when I don't see it-

I would go with number 1, Hugh Jass vehicles with small engines that get tired-
The same engines on their smaller cars don't seem to exhibit the same univeral problem.

Old 02-11-02, 09:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure they do. Same engine. They blow smoke and make racket too.

The 3.0 vin 3 in any format is an oil burner, no matter if it's in a Dynasty, Shadow, Caravan or other K car variant.

I have seen the 3.3 and 3.8s, as well as the 2.2 and 2.5's all puff.

As the lottery song goes "A nice Reliant automobile" Lol.

Old 02-11-02, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I used to be a tech. at a dodge dealership, and I have to come to the defense of the 3.3 and 3.8, lol. They are good engines in my opinion. Usually the ones that puff are around 200k old. They are american made, but the 3.0 engine is the one you see billowing smoke most of the time. It is a mitsubishi engine, and will start smoking at 80k or so. Usually it is the valve stem seals that go first. The seals are not run of the mill seals, they take an act of congress and head removal to change. So expensive that owners opt to tolerate the smoke instead. The dynastys and other cars with the 3.0 smoke too, same mileage, but the 2.5 and 2.2 will rack up plenty of miles before they smoke. Usually the car is a heap by the time the 2.2 and 2.5 will smoke. They are bad about wrist pin noise though. Just my .02

Old 02-11-02, 09:42 PM
trendar
Visiting Guest
I wonder the puffers manage to get an inspection sticker in NY; must rack up pretty impressive HC readings-

Old 02-12-02, 05:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
They use Guaranteed to Pass and other witch's brew to keep 'em going

Cheese: Drive an old GM for that mileage and tell me if it smokes. My coworker's Chevy has 200k on it with a used engine and my Olds 88 has 141k.

No smoke .

Those Chryslers are smokers .

Old 02-12-02, 05:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I do drive an older GM...1985 scottsdale. Best truck I ever had. Put a little over 200k on it and swapped the engine. I agree...it's hard to beat old GM stuff...but they don't make 'em like that anymore, so some people have to make the best of what's being made now. I didn't swap the engine because it was smoking, but because everything else was causing problems...like lifters not pumping up, rocker arms wearing out, intake cracks, oil leaks, bearing wear. Still ran fair when I changed it. I also used it to pull a service trailer 1300k per week, so that makes the 200k look even more impressive.

Old 02-12-02, 05:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
oops, not 1300k, obviously, but 1300 miles per week, lol

Old 02-12-02, 09:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try that with a Caravan . Lol.

My experience has been GM powertrains are pretty decent. The good thing about GM is parts are everywhere as there are so many options to go with when choosing parts.

The fallacy of course is that old and American is not reliable. You know what I say to that.

Your truck, my cars and countless others of perhaps both of our friends confirm this

Old 02-16-02, 11:19 PM
trendar
Visiting Guest
The only car I ever got to 200k was a 77 Mercedes 450SEL, Just passed 200k at 201k, and I'm running on the highway marveling at how smooth the thing was running; and it promptly threw the timing chain when I hit the gas after decelerating for a truck that swung in front of me. Pushed home by a passing tow truck... oh well.

Have an 84 Honda Accord that was 20k short of 200k, but then I lost my only key to it, and now it sits-

The only car that smoked was my 86 Mazda RX-7, and that was only on startup, though.

Those Caravan owners must keep them on the road longer than the guys with the cars do, I suppose-

Old 02-17-02, 07:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lost keys?

That's probably a 150 dollar service call by any locksmith. If that's holding you up, then I'd say go for it.

I have about three sets of keys for each car and I organize my spare sets so I can grab them in a jiffy.

Old 02-17-02, 08:12 AM
trendar
Visiting Guest
Problem is, I don't know if it's worth the $150, lol

I'd sooner try a slaphammer and screwdriver than anything

Old 02-17-02, 02:46 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
That may work, or:

Try calling Honda. They MAY have the key codes on file with the records of the car. Then, you can take those codes to a locksmith and they can make up new keys for it. Done

Old 02-17-02, 05:40 PM
trendar
Visiting Guest
That'd be worth a shot, I'll look into it!