Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Maxima slow to start

Visiting Guest

02-05-02, 08:27 AM   #1  
mcrowley1
Maxima slow to start

I have a 1997 Nissan Maxima (3.0 liter V6) that normally runs just fine. Recently, however, it seems to take longer to start. I have had the car for about a year and a half, and in all that time it started very quickly. The starter cranked for a second or two and the engine fired right up. Now the starter cranks for several seconds before the engine will fire. Sometimes I wondered whether it would start at all. This is an intermittent problem, as it doesn't do this every time, and environmental conditions don't seem to be a factor. Cool, warm, dry, damp - nothing matters. The engine is fuel injected and I don't touch the pedal. The car has 49,000 miles on it. The electrical system has been tested and checks out fine. The air filter is clean, and it has a new fuel filter. The car runs fine otherwise. No noticeable changes in fuel mileage have come up. Any ideas out there?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-05-02, 09:13 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Rent a scanner from Autozone and run a code check to be sure there are no trouble codes stored.

Check the fuel pressure for any problems. You can rent a gauge at a parts store as well.

When it gives you that grief, pull off a plug wire and put it to ground. Have someone crank the motor and observe if you have fat, blue and consistent spark all the time. If not, you have ignition troubles.

Search this Thread