86 gm astro, rear doors

Old 02-05-02, 10:53 AM
Visiting Guest
86 gm astro, rear doors

Hello. My problem is this. My 86 astro van rear door handle broke when attempting to open rear doors. The handle is still intact but I heard a piece break off inside the door.Now the doors are closed and I would like to open the door to be able get it fixed. How can I open the rear doors with minimal damage? Please help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-02, 12:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
This seems common and GM doesn't have an internal release that I'm told.

Might want to defer to a body shop. They may have a way to pop the latch with a special tool.

Old 02-05-02, 01:57 PM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Here's the Fix

This happened to my '90 about a year ago.

From the inside of the van go to the passenger side rear door, where the latch broke. Remove tha fabric that is below the window by removing the four corner bolts, if you dont have bolts you might have to put a screwdriver behind it and pop it out. Once this is removed, there is a metal access panel that has about ten screws in it. Remove this panel. The panel is pretty big, it covers the entire bottom of the door. Under the panel is a brown paper with sealant on the edges, remove this carefully, so you can re-use it. On the side of door you will see a rod going up the side of the door, from the outside latch. Grab it and pull it down. This will open the door. Once open there is another small access panel on the side of the door. You will have to remove that also to replace the parts. The rod is held to the outside latch with a Jesus clip that rusts and breaks.

Good Luck! This job took me about an hour.

Old 02-05-02, 05:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good thinking!

Hopefully you can get the door panel off with the door closed. On a car you can't always do that

Old 02-06-02, 06:31 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
The rear doors are easy to access and work on in a GM Van. Make sure you put the rear seat forward as far as it will go. Mine folds down, so I moved it as far forward as it will go, and I had plenty of room to work.

Old 02-06-02, 09:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
On my late neighbor's old 86 Lynx, I had to KICK the door open with my foot as the latch jammed.

My foot hurt for a week. Not to mention there was a boot print on her door panel