Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

318 engine

Visiting Guest

02-05-02, 02:52 PM   #1  
smj5169
318 engine

Yes I have a 1984 Dodge D-150 with a 318 engine. It has a 150,000 miles on it. My problem is about 6 months ago when I checked the oil it looked like coffee with cream in it. Just using that as example a light brown. I took it by a mechanic that I use and he said it was not getting water in oil just getting moisture in engine. He asked me if I get it on highway much and I dont. He said with the bigger engine's they need to get blown out and ran on highway or they will get moisture in engine. He reccommended me to change breather on valve cover and PCV valve. I did that and it seemed to get better but now it is back now worse then ever. I changed my oil and after it was still that way. Is there anyway to get it cleaned out and will this hurt the engine. The engine still runs great I just don't want no damage to occur if I can prevent it. Thanks for any help Steve

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-05-02, 04:25 PM   #2  
DRLM001
Well that really sounds like a water problem to me!I had the same problem in mi 88 GMC half ton.And it was a crack.I've heard of running engines out on the highway to clean them out but i thaught it was for carbon purposes.I'd really look into a second opinion.

Visiting Guest

02-05-02, 04:51 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Milkshake like oil is a blown head gasket or cracked head as alluded to here.

Check alldata.com for any known bulletins or remedies on this problem.

A shop can also use a gas analyzer to check for a blown gasket. Have another shop do that.

The oil should never be like that under normal conditions.

Group Moderator

FL

02-05-02, 05:40 PM   #4  
Sounds like head gasket to me, we refer to that oil/water mix as peanut butter.

Did that mechanic happen to have a big "shadetree" in his front yard? LOL

Visiting Guest

02-05-02, 06:06 PM   #5  
Stubborn1
I'm not one much to argue with these guy's opinions, because I got a BUNCH of 318's in my yard, and I'd bet a dollar to a donut that it's got something to do with the heads and/or gaskets. But to be fair, I got a Ford 4.9L that's been known to get some peanut butter in the crankcase, from time to time. (Right after monsoon season, come to think of it ) But an oil change gets rid of it. Good luck, my friend.

Visiting Guest

02-05-02, 06:45 PM   #6  
KUZBRO
Water in the oil

pressure test cooling system, check radiator for oil residue, gas analyzer test the radiator would also work. I don't buy the humidity deal.

Search this Thread