cost of repair on 318

Old 02-05-02, 08:14 PM
smj5169
Visiting Guest
cost of repair on 318

Yes I am the one who wrote about the light brown oil in the 318 engine, by all the replies it must be getting water in oil. 1 or 2 more questions. Like I said before the truck is a 84 but it runs great don't look that good but does the job. How much would it cost, a ballpark range to replace the headgasket? The reason I am asking I only paid 2000 dollars for the truck 5 years ago but have only put little money in it. But if it don't cost a whole lot I would like to get it fixed. The one reply said check coolant and cooling system. I don't have A/C on the truck so that eliminates one thing and you can almost get under hood with engine it is so open under the hood. I have never replaced a head gasket but how long does it take someone who has the know how to replace one. I just hate to give the old truck up because it would be so hard to replace it. Last question what will happen if I keep on driving it or should I take it right away to get fixed. By the way I have had to add about a quart of antifreeze about every other month to it but I have a raditor hose that I need to replace that I thought it was coming from. Thanks for all your help from all of you. Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-02, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
Taking a REAL wild ballpark guess (and the last 318 I remember working on was a friends '66 Charger), I would say you could probably do both sides in about 4 or 5 hours, allowing for things I'm no doubt forgetting. You should be getting response from someone who's done the job and will have a better estimate. You'll want to send the heads out to the machine shop to have them checked since a crack will also give you the crankcase peanut butter problem.

Old 02-06-02, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
Oh, $ estimate; using 5 hours, let's say $60/hr and maybe $100 for parts, new oil, coolant, etc - maybe $400 plus the machine shop bill? Somebody jump in here and help me out.

Old 02-06-02, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Got to remember to answer ALL the questions before posting.
LOL

That peanut butter makes a pretty poor lubricant (although better than none, but just barely). I would drive it as little as possible until repaired or risk doing major damage.

Old 02-06-02, 05:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with TowGuy.

It's a simple simon old truck. Not much on there. Get a helper to guide you through it.

Call up a machine shop as TowGuy suggested and prime them that the heads are coming.

Consider the truck out of service for a week or so, as the machine shop will take a couple of days to R&R the heads and check them for you.

Get a repair manual to guide you through it as well. Use good quality gaskets such as Felpro.

Change your water pump, hoses, belts and service the cooling system while you are there. Anything cheap and in the way (hoses, rubber items) should be replaced as they will likely break.