Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1988 Chevy half-ton

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-07-02, 04:02 PM   #1  
1988 Chevy half-ton

I would like to know how to fix this problem. I am pretty mechanically inclined but dont know too much about my truck. I have a 1988 chevy silverado half-ton 350 4spd auto. When I am driving on the highway and sa I need to pass somebody - the transmission does not downshift AT ALL. I was told that it might be the "kick down cable" and I was wondering if this sounds like the problem and how it could be fixed.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-07-02, 06:16 PM   #2  
Yes, that can cause the problem. Probably a 700R4 tranny in this truck. The kickdown cable runs from the carburetor (or throttle body, whichever you have) to the transmission. It may have jumped off the linkage at the carb, or it may be broken. If you need to replace it, make sure you follow adjustment procedures after it is installed. I have heard improper adjustment causes breakdowns on this tranny.

Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 03:32 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Yes, it's a 700R4.

Yes, Cheese is right.

As I recall, the cable is easily installed and adjusted by racheting through Wide Open throttle.

Check my signature file for service manual information. Get a new GM cable, give it a whirl and let us know what you find.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-09-02, 08:07 PM   #4  
The cable was just stretched so I clamped it at one one point - drove it and repeated untill it shifted where it was supposed to. Thanks for the help guys. What can I say - the truck was given to me and I really dont care what happens to it - there was no way I was paying for a new cable then having it installed.!!!

Visiting Guest

02-09-02, 08:09 PM   #5  
Joe_F
If the cable is questionable, replace it. A few dollars at any GM dealer.

A misadjusted TV cable WILL toast a 700R4 in no time flat. It's pretty critical to get it right.

Search this Thread