Change Air Suspension to Spring Suspension

Old 02-07-02, 05:51 PM
Tyrone Lewis
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Change Air Suspension to Spring Suspension

My friends Dad has a '93 Lincoln Town Car.
He's wondering if he can change the air suspension bags to a spring suspension and if there is a Kit to do it and if so, where can the Kit be purchased?
Is there site online that can be looked up to do this?


Old 02-08-02, 03:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Not on this model that I am aware of.

On the Continental models (which also have this horrific system) you can swap in Taurus/Sable struts and do away with that pesky balloon popping horror .

Check for the answer to your question, perhaps someone has a remedy.

NOT one of Ford's better ideas on this system . I think it's horrific to see a luxury car with its rear on the ground and a frustrated owner driving it.

I have seen it firsthand!

My commuting partner's wife has an 87 Continental (old style RWD) with the air bag system and I warned him not to get the car (got it from his in law).

Of course, I teased him with the bag broke. 125 bucks for a bag, but it was easy to change.

There are companies on the web that sell refurbished bags. You might try that option to save some $$$.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-02, 06:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
You can swap out your rear air bags for conventional coil springs, insulators and shock absorbers from a 1993 Ford Crown Victoria or Mercury Grand Marquis. Unplug the air suspension controller to make the "AIR SUSPENSION" light go out after you've completed the swap.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: