Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

something is draining battery?

Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 10:35 AM   #1  
bledsoe
something is draining battery?

'96 Acura Integra, bought new back then. My friend, the owner, had them put an alarm system in back when he bought it and he thinks that may be the culprit but is not sure. He goes through a new battery every 8 months or so... He says he "shut off" the alarm, and that didn't help. I'm guessing he didn't disconnect the electrical connection completely, but I don't know yet. Anyway, any suggestions on where to begin searching for what is draining the battery? What would a dealer do in this scenario? Even better, what would YOU GUYS do!?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 11:18 AM   #2  
mooser1
Joe will tell you to pitch it and buy a 79 Trans Am.... with key off disconnect negative battery cable and connect an automotive 12 volt test light between the battery post and the end of the cable...if there is a "faint" glow, this is probably just the clock or computer, if the test light is bright, this is probably a "drain" you're concerned with.....now, make sure door switch for interior lights is held in (off) and pull your fuses one at a time until you find the circuit that makes your test lamp go out....this will be the problem circuit causing the drain and you'll have to check all accessories, lights, etc. on this circuit to find a short of some kind.....this can be very time consuming and frustrating which is why a shop will charge an overbearing amount of money for these kinds of repairs......good luck

Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 11:37 AM   #3  
bledsoe
great response, thanks!

Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 11:42 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Lol.

Mooser1 is right...err about finding the drain.

(He's also right about the 79 T/A, but I'll quit while I'm ahead..lol )

Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 02:52 PM   #5  
mooser1
hey bledsoe......any relation to Drew?

Visiting Guest

02-10-02, 12:11 PM   #6  
trendar
You might want to measure the voltage at the battery while the car is running, both at idle and with it revved up some. Make sure the voltage regulation is in spec; if it's not charging properly or overcharging, it'll affect battery life too.
If it's under 13V or above 14.5 it might be something to look into-

Visiting Guest

02-11-02, 06:59 AM   #7  
bledsoe
Good call Trendar. I'll do that. Mooser, no relation. I'm from Boston, just a big fan of Bledsoe. It hurt watching Brady take his job!

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-11-02, 10:39 AM   #8  
my car used to constantly drain, and die on me. But when i had the battery checked it was supposedly good. So after three altenators(sp?) my dad finaly saw that the carberator connection was unhooked? weird. Anyway... u might want to put your car up on a lift and get someone to check all the wires underneath.

Visiting Guest

02-11-02, 10:52 AM   #9  
Joe_F
Probably a wiring harness, not a carburetor connection .

The line from the pump to the carburetor would have nothing to do with the alternator unless it was chaffing it or stressing the wires, pulling them loose.

Search this Thread