Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

(new) car will not start after it runs awhile

Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 04:39 PM   #1  
SaDow
(new) car will not start after it runs awhile

1989 chev Iroc , 350 port injec, replaced starter, water pump, fuel pump , altnernator. just changed the oil a month ago . the car will not run after sort trips when i turn it off . i have to let it sit for 10-20 min, i will check the fuel filter to night . if you click the arrow on shadow it has more

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 06:37 PM   #2  
danc37166
re:car won't start

THE MOST COMMON PROBLEM I'VE SEEN WITH THESE IS THE ANTI- THEFT SYSTEM. THE WIRE FROM IGNITION CYLINDER WHICH READS THE DIODE CHIP IN THE KEY BREAKS INSIDE THE INSULATION FROM ROTATING IT BACK AND FORTH. THERE IS A TEN MINUET TIME OUT WHEN IT DOSEN'T SEE THE CORRECT SIGNAL FROM THE KEY. YOU'LL PROBABLY HAVE TO REPLACE THE IGNITION CYLINDER AND KEYS. THE KEYS HAVE TO MATCH THE SAME CODE AS THE ONES YOU ALREADY HAVE. YOUR DEALER CAN READ YOUR KEYS AND TELL YOU WHICH ONES YOU HAVE. THERE ARE 15 DIFFERENT ONES. HOPE THIS HELPS.
DANC37166

Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 09:06 PM   #3  
tstokka
is the motor getting up to operating temp on these short trips? is the check engine light on or has it ever been on? you should pull codes to see if any were set without you seeing the light.

Visiting Guest

02-09-02, 08:27 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Check my post "The Basics" listed below for some ideas.

Do you have spark and fuel at all times during the trouble?

Dan's recommendation applies to cars with the VATS system. Your square key will have a black pellet built into it if you have this system in your Camaro.

The F cars with the 350's in these years were nice. Not all years had T-tops and the L98 350 though. Too many body cracks .

Search this Thread