Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine mothball

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 06:10 PM   #1  
Engine mothball

We had a reletively new vehicle that was in pieces for 5 months and now 6 months later we have major engine problems. Should anything have been done to protect the engine? Could this ruin oil?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

02-09-02, 05:33 AM   #2  
If I'm doing the math right, it was immobile for 11 months? That's not a terribly long time, but of course everyday useage would have been better. As a comparison, here in SW Florida we have thousands of part-time residents (snowbirds) who do winters down here and summers up north. Lots of them have a vehicle that stays down here in between for 6 - 9 months without too many problems; usually we get more jump start calls when the weather starts to turn cold up north and drives them south.

Main thing that can be done is to add a fuel stabilizer before storage and run it long enough to get the mixture through the entire fuel system. This prevents those components from gumming up. Also an oil change just prior. If it's something like locked up motor, the preventive maintenance would have been to remove the spark plugs, squirt a little oil in the cylinders, and crank the engine over a couple of times to distribute, then reinstall plugs.

What major engine problems are you having and why was the vehicle in pieces?

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-09-02, 09:10 AM   #3  
the vehicle was in an accident that took the dealership 20 weeks to repair. there were numerous problems after the vehicle was returned; steering rack, power steering pump, cracked temp control, heater not functioning and now ruined engine.

Visiting Guest

02-09-02, 08:12 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Have the dealer rectify the problems, and sue them if necessary to get it right.

If the collision was quite major, consider pitching it for an accident free vehicle as it sounds like this shop did some unquality repairs.

Some cars are better off being put out to pasture after accidents unless they are classics or rare cars.

What type of vehicle?

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-10-02, 11:21 AM   #5  
2001 Sport Track. It was a leased vehicle that FMC insisted be repaired by a dealer. It ended up getting a new frame in addition to the body panels.
We are attempting to work this out with the dealer, but it is not going to be easy. My son thought that since the dealership was looking at the vehicle at 6, 12, 4 weeks to correct the problems that the vehicle was being maintained. they say that it is his fault....

Visiting Guest

02-10-02, 11:31 AM   #6  
mooser1
I agree with Joe.....the damage was obviously extensive enough on this vehicle to give it "totalled" status if they replaced frame components......I would be speaking to my attorney on this one.....

Group Moderator

FL

02-10-02, 02:25 PM   #7  
I would sure be interested in seeing the amount of $$$ billed on THAT one! I agree an attorney is probably your next stop. From the description it sounds like the vehicle should have been totalled right off.

Visiting Guest

02-11-02, 09:30 AM   #8  
Joe_F
I really hope the dealer has given you an equivalent loaner while this one is in for service.

If not, look to recover your lease payments for lost time as well.

Search this Thread