Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Thermostat

Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 09:58 PM   #1  
GlassesRx
Thermostat

I have a 1989 Lincoln Continental. Few days ago, the temp gauge was fluctuating and no heat was coming out. I am going to change my thermostat figuring it was on it's way out. The auto store recommended this gasket adhesive instead of a hi temp gasket form which I usually use. I removed about 98% of all old cement prior to installation. I waited a few hours for it to cure. IT's this brown tacky "stuff", unlike the previous gasket (red) I use to use. The problem I am having is that it leaks now. Should I not hvae used this brown gasket adhesive and used my regular hi temp gasket form? All parts appear smooth and no damage on any parts. Any suggestions greatly appreciated via e-mail as well.
Thanks for all your help!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-08-02, 10:12 PM   #2  
Sounds like indian head gasket cement, or similar brand. I think permatex makes it also. Did it come in a small can with a swab attatced to the lid? Smell awful? If so, it is good stuff in my book. Are you sure the thermostat is seated fully in the housing? There's a recess or lip that the thermostat should fit right into. If it happened to move during installation, it will leak. Let us know what you find.

Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 10:19 PM   #3  
GlassesRx
Thanks Cheese for your fast response. Yes, it's the stuff with the round swab on the end. On my vehicle, it's diffult to know if it is seated correctly since it is mounted SIDEWAYS! Great engineeering huh? I tried to make sure it was seated properly, placed the gasket against the engine block first,then then the thermostat,then the housing that connects to the radiator. OK, as long as you had great success with the brown "stuff". I thought perhaps it wasn't adequate enough. I'll check again tomorrow am. If I need to reinstall it with a new gasket, how long should I let it cure prior to installation? The bottle just said a few minutes. Not very specific. I installed it the first time after a few minutes and it leaked like a geiser! LOL.....thanks for all your help and await your next response! THANK YOU!!!!!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-08-02, 10:40 PM   #4  
Yeah...mounting it sideways is silly engineering. Take it back off, if the housing bent the t-stat when you tightened the bolts, throw it away and get another. Same with the gasket if it got torn, and it probably will upon removal, lol. When installing the t-stat, put it in the engine first, coat the gasket with a thin coat of the cement and put it on next. The gasket should hold the thermostat in place well enough to install the housing. I don't wait for the glue to dry and have no trouble with it. Don't use too much glue though, you don't want it squeezing out into the t-stat housing and gumming it up. Good luck, and keep us posted! P.S.-purely a matter of your preference, but if we discuss this on the main board instead of private messages..we might help others with similar problems.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-08-02, 10:44 PM   #5  
Sorry, I was on my pm board when this popped up...I checked to see if it was on the main board, and it wasn't! My goof!! lol!

Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 10:49 PM   #6  
GlassesRx
Thanks again for your reply cheese. Just one more question, I hope! LOL!! I don't mean to be an*l...but when I removed it, it was installed in the order of, gasket to engine block,then t-stat,then housing to radiator. I hope there is no certain order for installation. All my other cars was top mount. Lucky me, a sidemount. I've changed several t-stats before, this is the first one that gave me trouble. Weird huh? Thanks again for your tips!!!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-08-02, 10:56 PM   #7  
Check for the lip I described that holds the t-stat. It will be a machined recess for the t-stat to fit into. If that recess is on the engine, the t-stat goes on 1st, gasket 2nd....if the recess is in the housing, then the opposite, although I have never seen one this way. The recess is just deep enough to allow the t-stat flange to be flush.

Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 11:03 PM   #8  
GlassesRx
Thanks ONCE again!!! On this car,nothing is normal! That lip as you describe is in the housing. Thanks for all your help, especially since this was my first time using this. If it leaks again, i'll go though all topics you dicussed.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-08-02, 11:07 PM   #9  
Glad to help, let us know how it goes!

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 09:23 AM   #10  
GlassesRx
Thanks Cheese!!!

Thanks for ALL your help cheese. Your thoughts and imput really helped me out. For all those who have a sidemount thermostat, make sure it doesnt slip when you install it. Mine did and it leaked. Thanks to cheese with his helpful hints. This is my first time using this site and it's GREAT! Thanks again CHEESE!

Visiting Guest

02-12-02, 09:34 AM   #11  
Joe_F
Yahoo for Cheese.

He's a whiz.

Is he Cheese Whiz? Lol

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-12-02, 06:03 PM   #12  
You're welcome glassesRX! LOL Joe, I got the nickname "cheese" at the dodge dealership. Someone started calling me that and it stuck, lol.

Search this Thread