Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

72' Pontiac Catalina Coolent in oil

Visiting Guest

02-09-02, 09:16 AM   #1  
Death_by_spooork
72' Pontiac Catalina Coolent in oil

i have a 72' pontiac catalina, and i found what appears to be coolent in the oil, the dipstick was watery, and there was white colored "stuff" on the dipstick too. i've been told this could be a blown head gasket, im just curious if it could be anything else, and an estimated guess on how expensive it is to fix something like that, and how serious it is, like can i still drive with it like that and would that do further damage, i appreciate any help and suggestions, thanx.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-09-02, 01:16 PM   #2  
mooser1
your problem, water in the oil, is definitely serious.....driving with it like this will only intensify the problem and cause more damage.....most common causes are indeed head gaskets blown, but could be a leaking intake manifold gasket, or maybe something much more serious like a cracked cylinder wall.....I would check the head gaskets, which will automatically include doing the manifold gaskets....you will have to have the heads checked out at your local machine shop to make sure they aren't warped or cracked.....you can call a local mechanic to check prices, it will depend on the condition of the heads and if they can be re-used or have to be reconditioned.....

Visiting Guest

02-09-02, 08:00 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Coolant in the oil is a telltale head gasket problem.

This is a simple simon old Poncho and will benefit from rebuilt heads. You can even have the shop do some tricks to them during the rebuild (port and polishing) and it will wake up the old Indian a bit as well.

Redo your timing chain, change your water pump and service the cooling system and carburetor at the same time. Basically a top end overhaul

Search this Thread