Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1979 C 20 Bonanza

Visiting Guest

02-09-02, 03:31 PM   #1  
toiletjockey
1979 C 20 Bonanza

I recently purchased this truck and would love for someone to tell me what this Bonanza package was. On the build sheet in the glove box it reads Scottsdale equip. Bonanza Package "C". Also on this build sheet is this 1G51 Extra Capacity Rear??? Whats this?? Springs?? Any help would be great!! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-09-02, 06:05 PM   #2  
55Redneck
The Bonanza package (I believe) is a heavy half ton package. A similar package to this is the Big10 package. What they basicly are is half way between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton. In essence it's a 5/8 ton. The reason they came out with this option is because of ever increasing government emmisions crack downs on the auto manufacturers. A 1/2 ton had to meet emmisions standards from the factory and a 3/4 ton didn't. Thats why GM came out with the Bonanza and Big10. I think there were also a couple other packages that were the same idea, just different names for the option package depending on where in the country you live.

I hope this helps.

Visiting Guest

02-09-02, 06:27 PM   #3  
toiletjockey
This is a trailering special with a 454ci TH400 and a 12,000# GCW and 14 bolt full floater with 4:10 gears. Its a little more than a heavy half. I'm sure it was sold or ordered as a special package as I have never seen or heard of it before. This truck has everything you could imagine for a new truck as far as options. Air,cruise,tilt,delay wipers,power windows & locks. I would like to know what the Bonanza package meant and maybe how common they are?

Visiting Guest

02-09-02, 07:41 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Mostly trim packages on these older trucks.

Might have included special stripes, power options, maybe some trailer/towing options or other standard features as part of the package. You had Big Ten, Scottsdale, Cheyenne, Camper Special, Custom Deluxe and other trim packages back then.

My friend at work had a 1979 Blazer that was a Silverado (as I recall) and it was fully loaded.

Get a hold of the 1979 GMC truck literature (from Ebay, or various vendors at swapmeets) and the factory sales literature usually describes the option package in good detail.

I have GM confidential (at that time) documents from ' 79 on my Tenth Anniversary Trans Am and it was VERY interesting to read what the plan was for these cars, the pricing structure and everything to with them.

In my case, they kept alluding to how rare the Pontiac 400 was going to be. I had a big smile on my face knowing that my 10th was one of the last ones made with a 400 4 speed in it , being made in April 1979 .

Search this Thread