Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

fuel pump question

02-10-02, 08:04 AM   #1  
fuel pump question

85 Dodge B150van 318ci engine auto trans. Van will not start in the morning or after not running a few days, carb just rebuilt. Mechanical fuel pump. ???????????Should the fuel pump be pumping gas into the carb before being started or does the pump only go to work after the engine starts. Fuel bowl drains overnight. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-10-02, 08:22 AM   #2  
motyen69
a mechanical fuel pump starts pumping the second you start cranking your engine.

02-10-02, 08:35 AM   #3  
Motyen, ok thanks, I'm in Mexico and a fuel pressure gauge is not close to being available. The carb drains overnight and the van will start immediately after about an ounce of gas is poured into the throat of the carb. Without the fuel the van will do nothing but crank. Should the fuel pump be repaced? Thanks to all

Visiting Guest

02-10-02, 08:41 AM   #4  
mooser1
definitely replace the pump.....de nada

02-10-02, 08:51 AM   #5  
thank you all, going to replace the pump. Thanks, you guys are great.

02-10-02, 03:31 PM   #6  
marguritas and guacamole for everyone

my beautiful wife and I changed out the fuel pump and I have power I've never had. Took a bunch of hours as it seems like chrysler (no cap) doesn't want anyone to work on the van. Changed it out, went for a ride and I seem to have power I never knew was possible. Thanks to all respondents and all who help keep this board going. You guys have helped me out of a real jamb and I suspect I'll sleep real well tonight. Tomorrow will be the real test, I'm going to send my wife up to start the van and hopefully throw out the old fuel pump. Thanks everyone, I feel this has really done the trick. Thank you all

Visiting Guest

02-10-02, 03:36 PM   #7  
mooser1
glad we could be of some help.....thanks

Visiting Guest

02-10-02, 07:09 PM   #8  
Joe_F
Good job folks!

Search this Thread