Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1990 buick century hood release

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-10-02, 08:09 AM   #1  
1990 buick century hood release

I have a 1990 buick century that the hood release wire came off from under the hood .....wanting to find out if there is a way to pop the hood without the hood release wire.....any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

02-10-02, 02:43 PM   #2  
Two things to try. Lay on your back and look up behind the grill to see if there is room to reach up and manually release the hood.

Alternatively, find another Century and ask to look under the hood at the hood release mechanism. You then may be able to fashion a wire or rod, etc that you can use to release yours. Good luck.

Visiting Guest

02-10-02, 07:13 PM   #3  
Joe_F
My "new" 80 bird that someone gave me has only the remnants of the cable left. . What a hokey setup. Not to mention it has a 1977/78 front on it. Lol.

Use a pliers to find what's left of the cable wire and pull on it. Should pop open now. Replace the cable with a new GM one.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-11-02, 03:46 AM   #4  
Originally posted by Joe_F
My "new" 80 bird that someone gave me has only the remnants of the cable left. . What a hokey setup. Not to mention it has a 1977/78 front on it. Lol.

Use a pliers to find what's left of the cable wire and pull on it. Should pop open now. Replace the cable with a new GM one.
thanks Joe....but there is nothing left of the cable under the hood ....I pulled the grill out thinking I might be able to see something ....the cable with the ball on the end of it completely came out from under the hood ....and I can't see that there is anything to trip the hood latch ....what a mess lol

Visiting Guest

02-11-02, 08:29 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Go the junkyard and see how the latch works on a similar car and that will tell you what you have to pull/push to get it open.

Search this Thread